Tuesday, September 06, 2011

In Which I Become Like Steve Irwin

At what degree will fruit flies naturally DIE? If I leave my windows open every night, and the temperature drops to about 50 Farenheit each night (which it DOES! It's wonderfully chilly and I am wrapped in a ROBE!!!!), how long do I have to wait before I can expect to find their little corpses all curled up on my counter tops instead of hovering over the drains and garbage cans?

I swear to God, we are NOT filthy people. Now, we are not super-clean, either, but we've never had fruit flies in the 14 years we've been married, so either I've been doing something right for 14 years or the little buggers were just lying in wait for over a decade, plotting the prime moment to strike and invade my home. Seeing as how fruit flies only live a few weeks, I'm guessing this was just a random attack.

Or maybe they covet my juicy tomatoes?I mean, really? Who wouldn't?

I was doing the whole "vinegar in a cup with a funnel thing" but it wasn't working! They would go in, get trapped, and I would do a victory dance in the kitchen, complete with hip thrusts and shouts of "Uh! Uh! Take THAT you little bastards!" I would then skip happily upstairs to bed and sleep an untroubled, bug-free bliss. So, you can imagine my surprise when I would come downstairs only to find that they had ESCAPED! They had escaped and had an orgy overnight, increasing their numbers threefold! Not only that, but their offspring had been raised on stories of me, the Great Captor. They were PISSED.

I have been suffering these past few days (oh, how I've suffered!). Swatting my head, whacking the walls, and swearing uncontrollably.* FINALLY, just moments ago, I decided to read the ENTIRE directions on How to Kill Fruit Flies.

Heh.

"Release them every day."

Ooohhhh.... No happy victory dances as I wait for them to drown? That's not nice? They will figure out the funnel? Their brains are small but not non-existent? I have to carry the glasses outside and RELEASE them into the wild?

Ohhh.....

I suddenly feel all Animal Planetish.


*that may or may not have to do with the fruit flies... I may just have a profanity issue....

11 comments:

Unknown said...

For just a moment there, I was lost in pleasant thoughts of your juicy tomatoes.

Mark said...

Don't feel LceeL. I was even thinking about her juicy tomatoes!
Catching up on my reading.
Great start to you knitting project. More power to you. And thanks for the tips of the flies. My kids stand at the doors hanging wide open inviting all the flies from my neighborhood in.
Your Friend, m.

Megan said...

Oh, I am sad. I was hoping your vinegar wisdom would be something to follow. I have no patience for releasing into the wild. Either my hubby will have to take on that joyous activity or I will just have to cultivate fruit flies...

Kim Moldofsky said...

I think it's due to buying bad fruit that's infested. We had problems about 10 days ago, but I think they are gone now.

Stacia said...

I did my 10th-grade science project on fruit flies. And I've hated them ever since. Keep fighting the good fight, Tracey.

anymommy said...

I detest the little bastards. But don't worry, we'll be in deep freeze and fruit fly free in a month or so.

CherylAlanna said...

I heard if you put a drop of dish soap in the vinegar it makes it so they can't get out of the liquid. NO clue if it works, but worth a shot?

Becky said...

I think if you use beer instead of vinegar, they will drown and die.

Also, make SURE you are removing the source of the infestation - do you have an old onion or something that might be an egg carrier (BARF).

I feel for you - I can't STAND fruit flies. I always rinse all produce right after we buy it during times when fruit flies are bad (if I can see fruit flies in the store, I make sure everything is rinsed).

Good luck!

Megan (Best of Fates) said...

Man, those fruit flies have given you a gift - Steve Irwin was hilarious!

Kristy said...

I am a fruit fly expert. (I have been blessed with more than my fair share this season.) What works beautifully is a squirt of dish soap in a cup, fill 3/4 up with water - make sure you get a nice foamy head on it. Add a dollop of apple cider vinegar and sleep soundly knowing you'll wake up to many a dead fruit fly. (They get instantly stuck in the bubbles and drown.)

No funnels to mess with. No pesky flies to release. Ta-da!

nmaha said...

All kinds of flying insects are evil.

Come on over I have posted a few pictures, just for you :-), with my first Sri Lanka update.

Related Posts with Thumbnails