Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Because a rooster by any other name would be a, well, you know...

Before I commence with this nugget of parenting gold, let me set the scene. My kids and I spent the day at our homeschooling group's weekly gathering. Today's theme was focused on China and its customs, so our kids did everything from cooking in the church kitchen (Justin chopped tofu and broccoli, though he ate only the almond cookies...) to making abacus*, to creating lapbooks with all sorts of tidbits about China. We had a really interesting time and came home loaded down with papers. Naturally, the most interesting item for my children was the Chinese Zodiac and figuring out who was born into what animal year. So, when a friend came over tonight to hang out for a bit, they just HAD to share the wealth. The conversation that was overheard is all the more hysterical when you take into account that they have absolutely no idea as to the double meaning of their words...


Justin: "Hey! I'm the rabbit. That's why I'm so fast and super speedy. Mommy's the dragon. That is SO cool. But it says she's 'eccentric'. "

Evan: "What's 'eccentric' mean?"

Justin: "Crazy."

Evan: "Ohhh. That fits!"

lots of laughter...

Evan: "I'm the horse! It says I'm attractive and popular! YES! But I can't marry the rat. Who'd want to marry a rat, anyway?" Squeaking and neighing filled the air as they pictured a wedding between the two animals...

"I'm a rooster! Mommy said so." Corinne needed no further information than this. She then bawked and did a chicken walk while the boys continued reading their different fortunes and traits.

Friend: "I'm a rabbit, too!"

Justin: "That's because we're the same age!"

Friend: "Oh, yeah."

Justin: "Mine says I cannot marry the cock."

Friend: "Yeah, that's our opposite. We should really stay away from the cock."

Evan: "Whatever you do, Don't go for the Cock!"

Corinne: "No Cock! No Cock!"

And on and on...

AND ON.

Meanwhile, their incredibly mature mother was doubled over her glass of wine** in fits of snorting giggles befitting any 14 year old. Because the BEST PART?

They have NO CLUE.




* abacuses? Abaci? I am too lazy to spell check. Much easier to write this addendum instead.

** Long day. A long day that started with me forgetting to drink my coffee*** and reacting poorly to the smoke that poured out of the kitchen at the church****

***I don't know how it is possible that I forgot to do something as basic as breathing...

****Not Justin's fault!

16 comments:

Gucci Mama said...

I think some of my wine just came out of my nose. That's hilarious!

Unplanned Cooking said...

Ha ha! Sometimes I wish I had my tape recorder do they could hear their conversations when they're older and get it!

CaraBee said...

Hysterical!

Let's keep Corinne chanting that until she's like 25.

Beck said...

How does one make an abacus? I am REALLY curious, because we're reading about Ancient China right now and that would fit right in!

Cock! HAHAHAHAHAH. My kids are rabbit, snake and rooster, so I guess you and I are were busy at the same time.

Me said...

Hahahahaha! I love it!

Anonymous said...

I love when those things happen. You can just dwell in their innocence for a little while longer.

Gettysburg Mom said...

I'm a tiger. I married a rabbit. He should live in fear.

And our good friend Wikipedia says, "The preferred plural of abacus is a subject of disagreement, with both abacuses[4] and abaci[5] in use." So, whatever.

Daisygirl said...

That is the funniest thing ever! I bet you moms were just in hysterics!

what a great idea learning about Chinese customs! I'm a snake!

~Jen~

Tonya said...

too funny! I love kid conversations.

Kristi said...

That? Is hilarious.

Pregnantly Plump said...

That's great. Too funny.

NaturalAsPossibleMom (aka Karen Bannan) said...

I am just as bad. My baby calls her socks...well, you know. Makes me laugh so hard. Did I say hard...

DiggyDaddy said...

Yea, great! If I had a beer it would be coming out my nose:)

we are reilly said...

THANKS for the laugh today!! :)

Life Laugh Latte said...

Oh my...just imagine if Charisse were there. She would have jumped in and created games using the word. Me...I would have been leaking my drink from my nose in fits of laughter! Awesome!!

Live Like You said...

Too funny! Just found out about this blog...love it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails