Monday, June 08, 2009

Mine

I sat for about a half hour yesterday in Corinne's room. I was "supposed" to be putting away laundry but got distracted by the shouting and laughing from the backyard, so I peeked through her window and was in awe of the sight below me.

5 kids, (2 neighbors) running, laughing, jumping, pretending. The girls were pouring and scooping sand, dirt and water to make "recipes" (gag!). They mixed grass, leaves and other miscellaneous bits (not sure I want to know what the "miscellaneous" bits were...) in dozens of cups that were stolen from the cabinet. The boys had a game of some sort where acid guns and hover-crafts were involved. I don't think I could truly comprehend the "rules" but they played this game for hours. HOURS.

Can you remember the days when a game of pretend was so engrossing that you devoted hours of your life to it?

I was in awe that I get to be a part of this messy, crazy life. The kids, the house, the hunky husband. It's mine. The yard that is covered in literally DOZENS of plastic toys? MINE. The carpet stained with juice, knocked over in an exuberant depiction of a Jedi defense move? Mine. The husband with the dreamer's heart that hasn't been squashed, despite my own dreary reality-based personality? Mine, mine, mine!
Behold the hunky husband's depiction of a dolphin trick.

The yard. This is actually on a "cleanish" day...

Mine.

20 comments:

Cheryl said...

I love watching my kids play too. Until it turns into a fight...then I have to get involved...LOL Our yard looks like yours, too...at least 6 days out of 7....there's gotta be one day that it's cleaned up so hubby can mow :o)

Mom24 said...

It really does look just about perfect. I'm glad you got to stop and 'smell the roses'.

Kat said...

It really is awesome, isn't it? Magical when you stop and notice it. So glad you did. And so glad you shared it with us. :)

Dana said...

You really are blessed...I know that you know this. Please, thank that hunky hubby of yours for the good laugh his dolphin trick gave me! By the way, I will be writing a review tomorrow for Scrunchbump. Let me just say.....awesome!

the mama bird diaries said...

Enjoy all of it!

Ally Wasmund said...

Awww what a great story! You are indeed a lucky lady. :)

Twisted Family Values said...

Life.. is a beautiful thing when you stop long enough to recognize that. ;)

Daisygirl said...

Great post! The picture of your hubby is hilarious!!!

Christy Killoran said...

Our yard looks like that too!
I tagged you to do 6 unimportant things
http://superheroesandprincesses.blogspot.com/2009/06/6-unimportant-things-that-make-me-happy.html

Marie said...

You are very blessed!!

Sophie, Inzaburbs said...

... and you deserve it.

So, enjoy!

Kristi said...

Once again, you write with a perspective I'm still waiting to develop. Perhaps if I read your blog long enough, it will develop through osmosis?

we are reilly said...

I can't wait for my little guy to grow up a bit so they can play together.....I do LOVE when the 'cousins' were over this weekend and they played golf and sand and road bikes for at least an hour -- WONDERFUL!

CaraBee said...

I used to be so critical of my neighbors who had toys all over their yard. (The superiority of the childless!) Now, we have that yard. I like to think of it as the sign of happy children.

anymommy said...

Yours. You are lucky. I bet you let them eat popsicles out there too ;-)

Hannah said...

Great post. It's always good to pause and reflect on the things we have, and not take them forgranted. I used to look longingly at the "perfect" living rooms and backyards in the glossy home decor mags, wishing my house could be the same. But then I realised that I love my home because it is mine, because I share it with my family.
You are blessed to have all that you have, too!

P.S. Love the photo of Patrick in the pool!

Adaptable Kay said...

Oh I remember the good ol' days when we could pretend play for hours at a time.
I miss that :D
It looks like your yard is well used! Lol

Leah said...

Oh to be a kid again.

So glad you were able to stop and realize what your hard work is all about.

Momma@Live. Laugh. Pull your hair out said...

Watching my family play and not fight is a wonderful thing. I actually did a post about boys today because, despite the chaos it is pretty darn good being their mom!

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

So sweet! Sometimes you just have to sit back and say, wow, look at that!

Life is good!

Related Posts with Thumbnails