Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Speaking Literally

It was another typical day for Evan. Recently, his attitude and mouth have gotten a little too big for his britches (love that phrase). After listening to yet another rude response to my request, he was sent to his room. (Ok, that is a nice way of saying he was in the backyard, yelling at me and I was at the back door yelling at him and all the neighbors were wondering at the banshee who can't control her child.)

I let that kid stew for quite some time. I smugly did the dishes, straightened up and then FINALLY strolled upstairs to do a lengthy lecture. I shook my finger and had very angry eyebrows as I reminded him that I AM THE QUEEN and what I say IS the Final Answer.

"I expect an apology, young man. A very long apology where you tell me why you're sorry and what you won't do again."

"Sorry."

"Oh no! I said a LONG APOLOGY! A loooooong one, kiddo."

Confused, he scrunched his face and smoke began to puff out of his ears from the concentration. With complete seriousness he tried to accommodate my specifications:

"Sooooorrrrrrryyyyy?"

Twitch.

Twitch, twitch.

Snort and snuffle. Keep your shit together! DO NOT LOSE IT!


I lost the battle and the tears flowed as we laughed our heads off.

Yet again, Evan's cuteness saved his butt.

Wonder how long that will work for him?

17 comments:

Marie said...

Umm, just a guess, but I suspect...





DECADES!!!!!
My husband is still at it!

TheHurt said...

Marie's right.. He'll get away with it FOREVER! Because us girls are just suckers for a cute face and a funny frase.. :D

xx

Jeni said...

Lol, I agree. I think boys can pull that stuff with their mom's for quite a while. It definitely does help if they are cute.

Issa said...

Oh man, I'm in trouble if mine does that. I already have trouble with my girls, but my boy just looks at me and I melt.

And you are in trouble too, because I think my brothers at 26 could still pull that stuff over on my mom.

Dana said...

Oh man! I'm sorry but that's just freakin hilarious! He's a quick thinker! What a funny kid!

shortmama said...

Dont ya hate it/love it when that happens? You are trying to be "mean mom" and one little thing said or one little look and its all out the window.

Tonya said...

too funny! well I guess you got what you asked for ;)

Sarah @ BecomingSarah.com said...

I'm with Marie. My husband is still at it too.

Kristi said...

Hahahahahahaha!
He's a smartie, that one. ;)

Gucci Mama said...

I too am a big fan of "too big for your britches". That phrase was like number three on the list of top ten reasons I wanted children. (Yup. I make lists. About everything. Comes with the crazy.)

I think sometimes? Laughing together like that after stinky behavior and time outs and yelling is probably the best way to end it.

Then again, now he knows he can win you over with his cuteness. Let us hope he exploits his superpower for the forces of good and not evil. Well, not TOO much evil anyway. ;)

Hannah said...

This made me smile :-)

I can sooooo relate!

Michelle said...

LOL I wouldn't have been able to hold it in either!

Ruby said...

Too funny!

I so know what you mean!

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

I was just waiting for that as I read your post..."Soooorrrrrrrrrry!"

hahahaha! Quite the comedian you have there. :)

Babe in Babeland said...

What a great story! Seriously, I needed a little something to make me smile. Thanks!!

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

Ha! I think he's got it working for him :)

Lis Garrett said...

HA! That picture of Evan completely sent me over the edge. LOL! Seriously, I love parents who can take it all in stride and decide to LAUGH about things. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails