Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I've been grounded, too...

Take this bit of advice from one parent to another:

If you are contemplating banning a child from tv, Xbox, Nintendo DS, computer, and all things electronic, be prepared for the changes this will bring to your family. For while I am loving the creativity that the kids are showing in their games and activities (imagination! Who'd've thunk it?!?) I am growing a tad weary of all of this togetherness. And really? I just want to watch television in peace!

(Actually, I'm glad for the change. Our lifestyles WILL be different from now on. We were way too dependent upon the tv and computer for entertaining ourselves and I HATED IT.)

So, I guess I can thank my kid for needing to be grounded? Eh?

Thanks, kid. THANKS A LOT!

Some examples of what they've been up to for the past 6 days since Operation Electronic Lockdown began:
One of their "stands." They spent a good hour designing boxes to sell stuff from. Stuff like cookies, granola bars, and juice boxes that they would sell every day at the end of our driveway and make tons of money for more Pokemon cards.

Evan was PISSSSSSED that I wouldn't let him out yesterday to sell! I thought the fact that it is FEBRUARY and COLD out would have been sufficient reason, but they are determined to get out there soon and make some money. I think I should explain to them that you can't sell what you don't own. They may need a loan for some money to invest in their products.... Heh. I think they assumed I would just DONATE said food for them to get rich off of! They obviously don't know me very well!

"Mommy, I taked a picture of Smudge wif the camera!"

Doesn't Smudge look thrilled about this fact? Notice the choke-hold my 3 year old has on the cat's neck?

Nice.

What? Your kids don't play poker with you?
And she TOTALLY kicks our butts. Rollin in the pennies... Next family vacation? Vegas, baby.


Hey, still time to enter the JumpStart giveaway! Click on over and get your chance!

13 comments:

tz said...

I too have a love/hate relationship w/ electronic fasting...

Tonya said...

I think this summer is going to be a battle with getting the kids outside instead of wanting to play the Wii. School helps because there just isn't enough time to get their homework done, dinner, piano practice, and ready for bed! This might be a long summer but it might be a great summer...time will tell :)

Allison said...

Our situation with no tv and no computer was a hard one - to save money - isn't it funny that the kids were the ones I thought this would effect the most - nope, turns out I am the one that is going crazy because I can't blog from home, and I am missing tv shows that I have not missed in 4 years. ughh

Dana said...

UGH! I've been there. Only my kids didn't get imaginative, they got hostile.

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

Oh the cat picture had me laughing, poor kitty! But really, would the cat hold still if she didn't hold it there? She knows what she is doing!

And you are so brave, operation electronic lock down! We limit but give up all together? SCARY!

Looks like it's going well!

Kat said...

I always think about that when I take something away from the boys. "Is this gonna be a big pain in the a$$ for me?" ;)

Anonymous said...

TV is not a big problem for us, the kids don't watch much (we don't have pay TV, just the 4 free-to-air channels that are available here in NZ). In fact, sometimes I BEG them to watch it (or a DVD), just so they will be quiet and leave me alone!! How terrible is that?! We do limit Playstation time, but I don't think we could do a completely lockdown! I guess one day it might get to that point ... and when it does I will likely go mad!

And yep, our kids play poker with us too.

Gettysburg Mom said...

Shea stayed home sick from school today. On days he calls in sick, he's not allowed to have any screen time during school hours. No computer, TV, or DS. As a result, he's played two rounds of Candy Land with Atlee.

Leah said...

Summer us usually our time to cut back on electronics. BTW I have a young niece who has her own poker set, chips and all. She is pretty darn good at it!

Gucci Mama said...

This TV thing has gotten so bad with me on bed rest that I now look forward to watching Wheel of Fortune. I can't believe I admitted that in a public forum. I think I shall heave the television from the attic dormer and to the cobblestones below as soon as this baby is born. I never want to see another television show again in my life.

CaraBee said...

That picture cracks me up!

You're supposed to do an electronics fast, you do it in the summer when you can just kick the kids out into the back yard. Way less stressful.

Anonymous said...

Ah, little entrepreneurs. Love it!

anymommy said...

I'm so jealous, and yet, I'm not sure I could do it. We've been trying to cut back recently and I've pulled out the cards here too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails