Monday, December 19, 2011

My heart is overwhelmed

Evan is amazing. He has found his "niche". HIS activity. His space outside of the family where he feels happy and confident and welcomed. When he won a free month of martial arts this summer, he wasn't so sure he wanted to even go ONCE, let alone attend on a regular basis.

And now? Now he attends karate lessons twice a week with joy. He practices his moves and is the most respectful, confident kid on the mat (no bias). When we watched him receive his first level above white belt yesterday, his face was beaming with pride and light.
His instructor is confident that he will rank up very quickly, due to his dedication and interest. I'm just happy that he has found an activity that he adores so much. I fully believe that this child has the ability to get his black belt, someday. Without a doubt.
In other news, our first Christmas party was a success! As the grandchildren get older and bigger, the volume in my parents' house gets louder and wilder, but it's always fun when we all get together; Especially when my dad has plenty of Franzia available.
Going through my photos from yesterday has reminded me to Take More Photos! Sometimes, I take pictures for a bit, and then put the camera away to enjoy the day more fully. And then I am left feeling a bit deflated because of the lack of ample shots to browse through. I vow to be a shutterbug this Christmas. Maybe not for every holiday hereafter, but this Christmas will be amply documented!Evan's going to make a great Daddy someday... He adores babies and little kids; and they adore him!
I also vow to make sure I am IN more of these pictures! (No gray hair! Thank you Nice n Easy.)

9 comments:

Unknown said...

There was a time when my three sons and I took karate together. I LOVED it - more for the time with my boys, I suppose, but I really enjoyed the Martial Arts, too. Anyway, what you say here just supports my idea that Evan needs to be promoted to RGK - Really Good Kid - a Life Rank that most kids find it somewhat difficult to get to.

Anonymous said...

How awesome to hear so many good things!

Mark said...

You can be very proud of that boy. He did so well. And plus, he looks so happy in all of these photos.
May your heart explode with proudness. Is that even a word? It is now!
m.

Bev said...

Congratulations Evan! I just wanted to pop in and say hello and happy holidays; I've been following your blog for a short while now.

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

How wonderful!!

Steph

Jeni said...

How great that he found his one thing to call his own :). I often wonder how that will go with my boys as they get older. And I feel ya on the gray hair, mine are becoming a greater presence. I just know that once I start dying there's no going back.

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I keep hearing about how martial arts are so great for confidence building. Those pictures of that proud smile (I mean his - but yours too!) is heartwarming.

Also just read the post about the "gray stripe" and LAUGHED! Too funny.

Cheryl said...

I've been contemplating getting my son into Karate...he's 7. He has a bad temper though, so I'm not sure if I should or not. I would hope it would help with that, but then I fear it could backfire on me and make it worse.
That's awesome that your son loves it so much.
And I agree with you on the comment about needing to be IN the pictures more, rather that always being the one taking the pictures. This is one of my goals too! :o)

Unknown said...

That is awesome! Email me please and let me know where Evan takes classes. Andrea wants to sign Joey up in the New Year. Kthx Merry Christmas!

Related Posts with Thumbnails