Friday, September 16, 2011

Too pooped to party

It's been a long week.

To put it mildly.

Patrick's been out of town. We've left the windows open and the front door unlocked twice. Thankfully, I also forgot to post the sign outside that said "Single, unarmed woman inside! Burglars and psychos, please use the front door!" so we managed to not get murdered and/or mutilated.

The weather has gone from 95 and sunny to 45 and frigid in just under 5 days. Hello, Autumn! In the process of digging out all of our fall clothing, I realized that I purchased the wrong size jeans for Justin. Even though his favorite pair of jeans is ONE SIZE, all of the other jeans that I bought in the same OR LARGER sizes do not fit. AT ALL. As in, the inseam is off, the waist band is crazily small and the legs don't look quite kosher. AWESOMESAUCE. We must venture into the men's department to get the proper fit. I can only assume that this will mean more money. Because anything else wouldn't fit with Murphy's Law.

I feel as though I drove 200 miles and didn't actually "go" anywhere. Well, besides a field trip to an atomic accelerator laboratory, jazz AND ballet, the grocery store twice (even though I somehow didn't purchase a single entire meal), rescued a dog from the terrors of a 4-lane highway, Chicago's Science and Industry Museum, and worked at a children's clothing sale (where I bought those jeans that don't fit my son). So technically? I guess I did go places. But it feels incredibly circular.

I had to cancel on two blogging functions this weekend due to no sitters and no husband home. This turned out to be a blessing in disguise as Evan is now sleeping away his "too tired for schoolwork" agony on the couch. I guess he really DIDN'T feel good, after all? Oops. Not really my fault, though. The whole "Boy who cried Wolf" kid had NOTHING on my middle child. NOTHING.

To be fair, some good stuff DID balance it out a bit. I got to snuggle my nephews while my sister attended a meeting(though that reignited the baby sighs for a bit...), have dinner with my sisters sans children and took my kids to my parents' house for the final swim at Nana and Papa's pool. We also had way too many sleepovers in my bedroom which meant that every chilly morning found us burrowing our icy feet down into our covers for a later start to our days. (i.e. my idea of a Perfect Day).

Basically, though? I miss my husband. Nothing's quite the same without him here and I am ready for this whole week to be OVER.

6 comments:

Deb said...

I hate it when my husband's out of town. I don't know how military wives do it. My main goal is for everyone to survive. Bathing becomes optional. Copious amounts of television are consumed. I always PLAN to be superfun mom who makes pancakes for dinner, but I am mostly trying-not-to-strangle-anyone mom.

E... said...

Yes, when J. is out of town I perpetually feel like I get NOTHING done. You know except keep the whole household from falling apart and feeding and keeping three children alive. He doesn't get home until after bedtime tonight, and while I really should keep the kids up so they can see them, I think I will go the other way and get some wine in me EARLY.

Mark said...

I can hear your exhaustion right through this post. It's not your usual ADHD self at all. In fact, did someone else write this for you?
I'm glad you made it through alive and un-murdered.
m.

Joy said...

I understand how you feel. The circles, hubby gone, tired... Yup. May there be lots of wine to ease you, and a present husband, very soon. Hugs!

Melanie said...

I'm reading this a bit late, but hey, you survived right? Welcome to your new week! Is your husband back? I know when my Hubby leaves there's an absence in the house, especially at night after the little people have gone down. The copious amounts of red wine seem to help me a lot though. :)

Lynn W. said...

It's amazing how one parent's presence can really make a huge difference on how things run around the house, and how we often don't even notice this until we have to live without them for a time.

That being said, I'm sure you're doing a great job holding things together!

Related Posts with Thumbnails