Friday, July 08, 2011

What Comes Around

Whose idea was it to teach these kids to have minds of their own?

Oh yeah.

That was a brilliant parenting move...

And I quote:

"Just because that's true* for EVERYONE else in the WORLD, doesn't mean it's true for ME! I like being different! I LIKE BEING WEIRD!"

Really.

What do I say to that? My heart's desire for Justin to have an independent mind has turned around and bitten me on my proverbial Mommy ass.

My 12 year old knows his own mind. The irony that his mind tends to disagree with every single idea that MY mind happens to have is not lost upon me. I'm sure my own mother is loving the payback I am receiving these days...


*This statement includes, but is not limited to: hair brushing, clothing choices, books to read, polite behavior, cleanliness, voice volume, food, music, enjoyable activities, amount of sleep a normal person requires, amount of activity a normal person requires, responsibilities, privileges, ways to not aggravate your mother, methods of learning math/language/any other educational skill, and on, and on, and on....

11 comments:

Unknown said...

A good friend of ours (who now lives on a farm in Iowa) had one of those - her oldest son. Independent, weird looking hair all the time, pot smoking, rebellious. The whole nine yards. Today he has a PHD in Mathematics. And is a Professor at a University.

Manic Mommy said...

Even as I read this, I heard my husband in the other room talking to Gremlin: "You know, sometimes instead of doing exactly the opposite of what someone suggests, you could do it. And not aggravate everyone."

CJ said...

I have one of those...and to compound matters, her verbal skills are less than stellar.

Balancing Lisa said...

lol! so true. My kids are younger, and my 3 year old is autistic (very mild thankfully, but on the spektrum) so this really hits home to me! What I think and say to him and want him to be doing/feeling/saying is the opposite of what's going on. I dream for the day he's independent and has his own way of things, but I bet I'll be eating those words in no time! ;)

http://www.stilettosanddiaperbags.blogspot.com/

Mark said...

That's what you get for doing your job and raising a kid who has a brain. Serves you right!
Good Job!
m.

Jenn said...

I'm with Mark. Good job!

Julie said...

"I had you. Now why aren't you following the operating manual?!"

LV said...

Well, at least you know your son will always be assertive and speak his mind. I know it can be aggravating that you two are on opposite sides of the fence, but in life, having an opinion is a great thing. My son is only 4, so it might be a while before I experience the full effect of him having a strong opinion...

http://foodfashionandflow.blogspot.com/

Pink Lady said...

This is so funny.... My two year old has recently gotten opinions about everything from his diapers, to clothes, to which direction we walk. SMH, I know this is only the beginning. Good luck with yours!

kailani said...

I hear you! In my home it's a fine line between independence and rebellion! LOL!

Vietnam transfer said...

Thank you, very nice site . Good work ! Vietnam car rental

Related Posts with Thumbnails