Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Gonna Party Like It's 1985!

I need some fashion advice. We are attending an 80's Party this weekend and I don't have a thing to wear!

Crazy, right? After purging like the flu for the last year, I finally have a use for all of my outdated clothes and I'm running on empty in the wardrobe department.

That said, I was only in junior high in the 80's (Why Yes! I AM trying to make myself feel younger after some 20-something make-up chick randomly attacked my "laugh lines" with concealer! And NO, she didn't ask first! How did you know? And YES! I did tell her that I earned those lines and didn't have any problem with them until she pointed them out! And NO. I did NOT buy her product but I would greatly appreciate any uplifting remarks you've been holding out on if you've got them in your repertoire. Shit, you can lie. Lie to me. Tell me pretty, smooth-faced, false compliments). My memories of the 80's involve watching way too much Saved by the Bell, wishing for a bra and the goods to fill it, covertly changing my name to "Traci" so that I could dot the "I" with a heart, and wearing 2 or 3 pairs of scrunchy socks over my rolled-up, acid-washed jeans.

I've gone through my dresser and closet; thus far, my appearance on Saturday will entail a sideways ponytail with really Aqua-Netted, curly bangs, and a few bangly bracelets that I can steal from Corinne's dress-up box.

Help. Me.

11 comments:

Rebecca said...

Skinny jeans are still, horribly, in, so you could probably find those. Or go to Goodwill and see what they've got in the jeans dept for $2. On top, cut up a sweatshirt ala Flashdance and put a tank top under so it'll show where the sweatshirt falls down. If you've got colored socks, obviously the layering is a MUST!! Use the word "like", like, a lot. Like, totally like, a lot. Like soooo much, y'know?

Hehehe!! Have fun with your pretty, baby faced self! :-D

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Ooooh! Yes a Flashdance sweatshirt! I have one that would work, but do I sacrifice my favorite sweatshirt (It's even a B.U.M. sweatshirt. Remember those?) to a one-time party?

Unknown said...

I looked through the last paragraph. That's enough wardrobe right there.

:)

becky said...

"Tight rolling" your jeans was popular in my middle school - you could do that with your regular jeans.

Ugh. I shudder at the memory of the 80s!

Pamela Fagan Hutchins said...

Oh Rebecca said it all. Layered colored socks will do if you don't have leg warmers --- and the side ponytail is a must.

Deb said...

Clicked over to suggest Flashdance sweatshirt (just go get a cheap one from the Walmart), but Rebecca beat me to it. Also legwarmers, which I think are back in (unfortunately), and you could probably find some acid washed jeans at a thrift store.

What else do I remember about the '80s...Multiple Swatch watches, Polo Shirts with the alligator, Fluorescent Oakley sunglasses, high tops with no socks, bubble gum pink lipstick...

You HAVE to post pictures of the final get up! HAVE TO.

Anonymous said...

It's all good baby. I have nothing 80's either. We'll go shopping Friday after work and get 80'sfied!

Careful Lou, despite what she might say, her husband DOES read her blog consistently....and the comments too.

:)

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

A comment from Patrick!!! Holy cow! I am totally marking this one down on the calendar!!

Kendall said...

It's all about the side pony and bright scrunchy!!!

Sylvia said...

Hmmm - same general age here, but I remember being really into keds. I hear you on the laugh lines! I earned them too. :) What about glittery (and too much) eye make up. I think you need to watch SpaceCamp, Pretty in Pink and Breakfast Club to prep!

Pregnantly Plump said...

I agree about tightrolling the jeans!
What about wearing tightrolled jeans with one of your husband's shirts with the sleeves cuffed. Didn't women wear big button-down shirts in the 80s? It makes me think of Molly Ringwald.
Hope the party is lots of fun!

Related Posts with Thumbnails