Monday, June 21, 2010

A day at Navy Pier

I cried at a cartoon.
I did. There aren't many cartoons that make me cry*, but Toy Story 3 made me BAWL. What with the leaving for college and saying goodbye and ceaseless marching on of time and such... Oy.

The 3-D glasses that hid my tear-stained face saved me because the last 30 minutes of that movie just about killed me. Flashes of my own life in 7 years from now were way too close for comfort. My mother-in-law was sitting 2 chairs down and had just as hard of a time with it as I did. We were both grateful for the lengthy credits with the much-needed comic relief to allow us to get our snifflings under control.Waiting for the Shoreline water taxi to Navy Pier with Grandma.

I do wish that the day care wasn't portrayed as quite such a prison sentence for toys. I have a bad feeling that there will be some sad children at their day care centers after watching Toy Story 3... It had some interesting lessons behind it, of course. Treat others with respect, life is all about moving on, loyalty to someone doesn't mean you should completely sacrifice yourself, etc.

Overall, well done, Disney and Pixar**. Another fabulous addition to the family classic line-up and one that I will gladly collect on dvd!
The green dot and blue dot are my sons. I rode this just moments before with them and actually got nauseous. When did I get so old that a swing ride makes me ILL?!?

Too short for the swings and had to make do with the merry-go-round and mini-drop rides. She looks really broken up about it, doesn't she?You can never go wrong with Haagen Dazs on a warm day at the Pier...

*ok, that's a pure lie. There are tons*** of cartoons that make me cry, but I sound like a baby when I say that.

** Then again, I doubt my children will ever want to throw away any toy EVER AGAIN. So maybe I might have a smidgen of a bone to pick with you...

*** Meet the Robinson's, Tarzan, Bolt... I could go on and on...

17 comments:

Joy said...

Well, I have to confess to tearing up at the mere mention of All Dogs Go To Heaven, among others. I am looking forward to TS3 arriving in our little town, and taking the 3 munchkins to it!! :D

Mom24 said...

Hmm, maybe we'll skip this one. It might hit a little too close to home with Rebekah leaving in Sept.

Your day sounds absolutely wonderful.

CaraBee said...

I cried during Toy Story 2. The part where the little girl left cowgirl doll on the side of the road? WATERWORKS. I'm going to be a mess at 3. I'll still go, though. How can I resist?

Daisygirl said...

I have heard great things about that movie...we will wait until the hype is over because my kids don't do wonderfully in theaters!

Looks like a great day!

Hannah said...

We are SOOOO excited for Toy Story 3! It doesn't start here for a few more weeks/months. But we are all (yes, me and Rob too) looking forward to it. Thanks for the heads up about the sad parts, I will take some tissues for me and Tyler (he ALWAYS cries at sad movies, he's such a sensitive wee soul).

Stacia said...

I've heard it's so very good and so very bittersweet. We'll probably wait to rent it, and I know I'll have to watch it before the kiddos do to get all my tears out the first time so I'm prepared for subsequent viewings. =>

Me said...

I actually want to go, just the husband and myself, to ToyStory3 and leave the kids at home. The whole series give me a warm, fuzzy feeling and since the girls are 4, 2.5 and 6 months, taking them won't allow me to enjoy it as much as I'd like to.

As far as crying. Every Pixar movie. They're good like that. My mom cries a lot more easily than I and her crying over Dumbo always seemed silly growing up. I never thought I'd do it. Then, the first time I watched it after becoming a mom, I was bawling when Dumbo and his mom become separated. Yeah. Awful. I'm a mess when it comes to anything semi sad, lately.

Coupon Trunk said...

The daughter is after me to take her to see Toy Story 3. Guess I'd better fill my pockets with tissues before we go!

Anonymous said...

love the swing pic!! i was just at navy pier last week. and yes, i cried when steve left "to go to college" on blues clues, so i'd be a horrid mess at TS3.

apathy lounge said...

See....I'm LIVING that reality right now. The swift passage of time has never been more obvious to me than it is right now. I've said goodbye twice and I've got one more to go before they're all either out in college or done with it. Sadness and nostalgia mingle together at the back of my throat. Always.

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

Oh No! I haven't seen it yet but I am a sucker too. I nearly sobbed the ugly cry during UP!

I still am excited to see it. Perhaps even more so than my kids....

CJ said...

I cried too. And I'm NOT a crier. Damn pregnancy hormones. (I'm only FIVE years away from college. AUGH!!)

Debbie said...

Everybody has been talking about crying at this one! I need to take a pass.

Unknown said...

i shed just a little tear at toy story too.
great pictures!

Kristi said...

I have heard that about TS3. We won free passes to see a preview of Grown-ups on Tuesday, and an elderly couple (no kids) were buying tickets to TS3. It was very cute.

PS: Babe (although not a cartoon) gets me everytime.

Angie, "Yo' Navy Mama." said...

I got a little misty, too. I might still have several years before they start hopping out of the nest, but I see how fast they're growing, and I know where this is going!

About throwing the toys away: Our Woody doll took some hard hits and sustained some injuries from a little doggie lovin', and there was NO WAY Wyatt was going to let me just toss him. Nope. Had to get him all comfy in a box to send to Santa, so he could get the elves to fix Woody up at the North Pole. Woody showed up lookin' spiffy Christmas morning!

BTW, I'm with you: well done, Disney/Pixar!

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Oh, Angie! That's sweet. Thank Goodness Santa has that workshop...

Related Posts with Thumbnails