Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Glee and Parenting...

Ok. Now, listen. Before I write this and you all gasp in horror at the fact that I let my kids watch Glee, let's just take into consideration that it's a MUSICAL show about MUSIC and it comes on directly after American Idol which I watch with my kids. And let's not forget the fact that it's about MUSIC which is a GOOD THING, especially in this crazy, messed-up world our kids are growing up today. I mean, there's Global Warming and Sexting! There are people who think it's ok to shout into their cell phones in check-out lines! THESE are the things we need to be worrying over, folks. Am I right or am I right?

Plus? I LOVE GLEE. It's everything I loved about the musicals from the 1940's - 60's but with better acting and more revealing costumes.

Scene: My family room. Popcorn is strewn over my checkboard carpet and a bowl of sherbet is melting at my feet. We have just voted 10 times in a row for Lee Dewyze and Glee flickers onto our set. At this point, I am caught in the eternal parenting struggle: Do I enforce what is "right" and turn off the slightly racy show or do I continue to recline on my comfy mouse-free sofa* and call this a "life learning experience?"

I chose the latter. And I was so glad. I am SO ecstatic about the lesson that my kids and I got to discuss again. I want to send out a loving shout to the writers of Glee and the actors who so beautifully executed the scene between Finn, Curt and his father on 5/24. (If you missed it, check out Hulu and watch Episode 20. )

To paraphrase the scene, Finn is embarrassed to be sharing a room with his mom's new boyfriend's son, Curt, who is openly gay. Finn slings out some very prejudiced remarks and is overheard by Curt's father, who lays into him and defends his son. My heart broke as I thought of all of the teenagers who don't have someone like Curt's father to stand up for them and beside them in the face of discrimination and hatred. (The very thought that someone might look at one of my children and hate them for a lifestyle, religion, or choice they may make in the future absolutely burns me up inside.) And so, in the middle of Glee, we paused the show and continued our ongoing discussion about equal rights, discrimination, homosexuality, and how everyone is different in some way. We discussed the ignorant hatred that some people hold against anyone who is "different" from what they consider "normal."

Evan wanted a better description of exactly what homosexuality is and why someone might hate you for being gay.

Justin had some insightful views about how everyone has something different about them and that maybe people who hate are just trying to hide their own differences.

Corinne made a point of saying that you shouldn't make fun of people, no matter what, "Even if they have purple hair, Mommy. You shouldn't tease someone who has purple hair. And you shouldn't tease someone with blue eyes, either. Like, I shouldn't say 'Blue eyes, blue eyes, you have blue eyes.' Right Mommy?" (She may have missed the point, just a tad...)

But the MAIN point was understood by them: Love people. Accept that the world is full of vastly varied people from incredibly different walks of life. We are all deserving of love and friendship. And no one deserves to live in fear for simply being who they are. I hope that I can instill in my kids the knowledge to not give into the disease that is prejudice and the courage to fight against it, as well...



* IhopeIhopeIhopeIhope...


14 comments:

Eternal Lizdom said...

I was very emotional with that scene- it was executed and written so beautifully all around. I thought of the impact on Finn and on Kurt and the guts it took for Burt to stand up and say what he said. I love that the comparison was made to the F word being the same as using the N word or the R word. I cried and a was also filled with... well, GLEE! :)

My kids are long asleep by the time Glee comes on so it won't be something they will enjoy at this point in time. But we do have lots of conversations about kindness and not being mean and making the right choices, even when it is's difficult to do so.

Gucci Mama said...

I am absolutely in love with this show. I wanted to stand up and cheer last night when Burt came tearing into the room. I would have loved to have a dad like that. I hope my husband is that fiercely protective of my children if he needs to be for whatever reason. Loved it.

Anonymous said...

I love, love, LOVE Glee!!!

I agree with you 100%... LOVE PEOPLE!

Sarah RDH said...

Nice message...but I can't stand that show. lol And it's set in my town! (Look at the school buses, they say "Lima" on them. Yup that's me.)

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

Your kids?

Awesome.

I am guessing it's due to their spectatcular Mom!

Pregnantly Plump said...

What a great lesson to be able to teach with a show. I'm not a Gleek. Just finished giving six years of my life to Lost and can't commit to another show that I would want to devote so much time to.
I just read the saddest story about a poor kid that was bullied into getting a tattoo and it made me cry for him. I'm so glad that Glee is helping kids see the importance of treating everyone with respect.

Tonya said...

I have never seen Glee but I do want to say GO LEE. I hope he wins tonight :)

Felisa Daskeo said...

You are a great mom. You always manage to do what is right to your kids. Wish I could have more time to watch also the show.

Unknown said...

So I'm wondering what kind of lesson you taught during the Madonna episode in which they sang "Like A Virgin".

;-)

I think it's cool how you extend their learning to things that are relevant in your own life.

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Melissa, I ah, may have paused the show and said "Bedtime!" during that episode. See? I wasn't as lazy that night.

Eliza said...

This post is further proof that we should be real-life friends! I think it's great that you let your children watch Glee! It's my fave, and wonderful, and thought provoking. Wow! You are amazing for taking that scene and utilizing it as a learning opportunity and engaging your children in meaningful discussions. The world needs more moms like you. I grew up with two moms (and went to Catholic school)...can you imagine? Thanks for starting the dialogue about loving all people!

So, seriously....when should we meet for coffee?

CaraBee said...

That was my favorite Glee episode in a long time. I loved the message. And the Gaga music. Neil liked the Kiss songs. I think that show could definitely spark some good conversations.

kailani said...

I'm probably the only person on Earth who doesn't watch Glee. I did watch it once and loved the music!

Michelle said...

I absolutely loved that scene. They performed it so well..and I hope many families took it as the learning opportunity it was and discussed it with their kids like you did!

Related Posts with Thumbnails