Tuesday, May 25, 2010

9 Lives

"Mommy, when our cats pass by*, can we get a chihuahua?" questioned Corinne from the back of the van on the way home from the Tuesday night showing of Diary of a Wimpy Kid**.

I wasn't sure if I should be more concerned about my reaction to the idea of the cats dying - I experienced absolute bliss for a moment, picturing the baskets and baskets of laundry that would remain pee-free, the plastic bags and strings that wouldn't be chewed on and then found in the litter box later on, and the knowledge that I would never again wake up and begin my day by stepping in a pile of feline vomit - or the fact that she could so easily discuss the demise of 2 pets that she absolutely adores. I mean, she carts these poor creatures around in baby blankets while patting their backs and cooing. They're her freaking babies and she's flippantly negotiating for their replacement once they bite the big one!

I decided to be blunt and go for the jugular:

"Honey, I think chihuahuas are kind of freaky-looking. Besides, when the cats die, we'll need time to, ah, miss them before we think about any other pets."

"Oh. Well then... can we go to Disney World when they die?"

???

Explain this child to me. Please?



*"Pass By"... Isn't that freaking cute? I haven't corrected her. I keep wondering what it is they're going to go past.

** I LOVE the Cinemark dollar movies. We have one nearby that has $1 movie nights on Tuesday. Every other day they show slightly older movies (like, 2 months old. Ancient, right?) for about $2 but on Tuesday nights it's a buck! $4 for me and my kids to see a movie on the big screen! Bring it. Oh, and Diary of a Wimpy Kid was freaking ADORABLE. Very well done. My family has read those books repeatedly and found the movie to be a fabulous rendition of the storyline and characters. Two thumbs up, baby!


Hey! Vote for me, would ya? Every day's a new chance!!

4 comments:

Daisygirl said...

I am not sure if that is a good thing she is okay with replacing the cat or not, on one side ya of course it will be sad but on the other maybe you have it easy when it does happen!
Kids! What can I say???

Mom24 said...

I love Cinemark too. I really don't go to regular movies anymore--way too expensive. Cinemark is perfect.

Thanks for the tip on Wimpy kid. We haven't seen it yet.

Gettysburg Mom said...

I'm eagerly waiting for the free summer movies. You know- the ones I can bring three kids and a nursing baby to and nobody looks at us twice. It's the only time you can bring a baby to the movies around here. Although I was thinking about taking Emerson to see Babies. Just me and him. Would people notice my cooing baby if they're watching a movie about cooing babies?

And chiuauas (too lazy to spellcheck)- they're a freaky looking, shivering dog. I hope your cats live long and prosper if that's the alternative.

Joy said...

We talk in our house about after the two old lady cats die. (They will be 13 on July 1st!) It is only after the number of cats in our house reduces that we will even consider bringing another one in, as a kitten. But, the children are too young to remember when two other cats of ours left, and never came back, and thus they have no real concept of how sad they will be once the reality hits that a pet is gone forever.

Sooo, long way around, I think it's pretty normal to want different or additional pet, to recognize that they can't just add another one to the pile, and they are smart enough to know they have to wait until the existing pets are gone. It doesn't mean they want them gone, they're just thinking out loud.

And thanks for the recommendation for Diary of a Wimpy Kid! We'll check that out this summer. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails