Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The drama!

Oh, the drama! As I was baking my Amish Friendship bread* at 8:30 tonight (because I hate to think of all of that time mushing the bag WASTED simply because I waited an extra day), burning within my own inner world of angst and hormonal pissiness, Corinne walked up beside me and started rubbing her eyes on the towel. After a few minutes, I noticed that she was crying!

"What's wrong, baby?!?"

"It's just not my daaaayyy!!"

"Did something happen?"

"Noooo!!! I'm just saaaaaaaadddd!!"

"Did someone hurt your feelings?"

"NO, Mommy! I don't know WHY I'm sad; I just AM!!!"

(Absolutely pitiful and heart-breaking stuff, here, folks.)

I hefted her 40-odd pounds onto my hip and stroked my gooey hands down her Ariel pajamas. All I could picture was 10 years in the future with REAL hormones and REAL emotional fluctuations... Can't hardly wait for THAT!

I distracted her with the bowls of dough to mix and she helped me crack eggs and measure sugar. All seemed better for a while so she headed back into the family room with the boys to finish watching the dvr'd American Idol (Yes, it was 9 pm and they weren't even close to being in bed. Just one of those days...).

I was beating the crap out of the batter when she shuffled back into the kitchen, her face absolutely devastated and tears wetting her pj shirt.

"Do you think A still likes me?"

Aha! A is her buddy next door. A is 9 years old and very, VERY cool. She's also one of Corinne's best friends. Apparently there was a misunderstanding of some sort in the backyard today. I don't have all the details because, well, I wasn't there. But the pieced-together version from Evan and Corinne makes the misunderstanding out to be not such a big deal, in my mind. Even though A allegedly said something like "I'm not your friend anymore and I don't care if you're crying!" before she went home. I mean, that's just par for the course with kids; they say rough stuff on Tuesday and (generally) forget all about it by Wednesday! Corinne, however, had been stewing about this ALL day and it was overflowing out of her in my kitchen at 9 pm!

"Would you like to make her a card to let her know that you still want to be her friend?" (In Corinne's world, most problems can be solved with an apology letter).

"Yes... Will you help me with the words?"

So we walked away from the d@mn Friendship bread and made a card for A.


Doesn't that just break your heart?

So, today's lesson for Corinne was that no matter how mad you are at somebody, their feelings can get really hurt if you just walk away without resolving the matter. She went to sleep still feeling sad and is anxious to get the letter to her friend before she leaves for school tomorrow.

The drama of little girls really IS different than that of little boys, isn't it?



* You know what? The Amish aren't on my Top 5 right now, because that bread was In.Con.Venient. Mush the bag, mush the bag. Add the flour, mush the bag. On this day, add more stuff and, oh yeah, Mush the bag. Then separate into bags to pass out to "friends" who will be pissed that they now have to mush a bag for 10 more days! You know what I did? I divided it up for MYSELF and made 4 loaves of bread! Screw my friends!**

** Nah, actually, my neighbors will probably receive 2 of the loaves fully BAKED instead of a lumpy bag of goo and work. Also, I HATE chain letters which is all the Amish Friendship bread really is: Just a glorified, modern-day chain letter.
..

18 comments:

Hannah said...

Awww, it's super hard to watch your kids struggle with issues like this. Friendship things. Misunderstandings. Apologies. Anxiety about being accepted or forgiven. It's heartbreaking! You're right though, it will only get tougher I imagine. And perhaps more so for girls?? I don't know, I was an pretty emotional teenager but I think boys are as well and just don't express it openly.
Nobody said this motherhood thing was easy, huh?
I do love Corrine's card for A. I'm sure all will be forgiven/forgotten tomorrow anyway, that's usually the case.

Mom24 said...

That is so sad. I hope the 9 year old is compassionate and kind today. Girl stuff is definitely much different than boy stuff.

I hate Friendship Bread for the same reason--chain letter for sure.

Star said...

I got a bag of that bread a few months ago.

I did it once It was a pain, and, it really didn't taste all that great.

Instead of passing on the dough like it says, I did one great big bake, baked it all, had nothing left, and never looked back!!

And the drama... yeah, it's so funny how it's so different with boys!!

Pondering and Writing said...

Hi--I stumbled across your blog today and am so glad I did! Great stuff--I have added follow!

I feel the SAME WAY about the Amish friendship bread! : )

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

Yes, girls are so mean to each other one day and the next, it's like nothing happened. I remember those days. I am sure it is no picnic as the mom either.

And that damn bread! My friend gave me one too and I mushed and added and then baked it and it was awful. I threw the rest out, screw the chain!

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Well, I love the bread, that's why I made it(four loaves!) but it's just such a pain. Patrick brought a loaf to work and called it "Italian sweet bread" because he was embarrassed to call it "friendship bread" in front of a bunch of truck drivers!

Cheryl said...

Did you just call something Amish "modern day"?

That amused me! :)

Daisygirl said...

Oh my gosh, really so now it starts at 4!! Crap!
I love Amish Friendship Bread!!!!

Pregnantly Plump said...

Poor Corinne! I hope her friend accepted the apology. And I hope the bread tastes delicious!

Kat said...

Everyone who knows me knows better than to pass that bread onto me. ;)

Poor little lady. That stuff is hard. And you're right, it will only get harder. Awww.
I hope the card did the trick! Keep us posted. :)

Tonya said...

girl drama can be so nasty sometimes. Poor Corrine.

CaraBee said...

You know, the Amish aren't really known for doing stuff the easy way. They may make good, quality stuff, but easy? No. I'll bet that bread is good, though!

I don't look forward to facing those issues with Sophie. They will come up, I have absolutely no doubt, and they will be painful for all of us. Sigh. Girls.

Cynthia said...

That is SO sad:(

OK, I must be out of the loop...I've never heard of friendship bread:/

kailani said...

My daughter and her friend go through their on-again, off-again friendship on a daily basis. It gets exhausting at times! :-)

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

Poor little thing. I'm sure the note will do the trick. :)

I've never made Friendship bread - my friends know better. haha!

Anonymous said...

I told my husband I'm leaving when the girls turn 10 and letting him deal with the hormones. I can hardly take the drama now and they are only 6.

JC said...

What a cute letter! Glad you made the bread and saved someone from being guilted into mushing dough. :)

Mia King said...

Hi Tracey!

Oh, I loved this post! I cross-posted it on our Friendship Bread Kitchen site (www.friendshipbreadkitchen) too. I'm also a SAHM of 3 and we homeschool too. I hope everything worked out with your daughter -- it's so hard sometimes, isn't it?

warmly,
Darien (aka Mia)

Related Posts with Thumbnails