Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Visitors

As usual, I was attempting to do too many things at once. As I was shouting instructions for a reading assignment to Justin, I stumbled into the laundry room with my arms loaded down by stinky towels and socks. Completely distracted by everything that needed to be accomplished, I began to shove my pile into the washing machine when I SAW IT. The tiny flash of movement was all I needed; my feet scarcely grazed the tile as I bolted through the hallway, directly to the kitchen table, where I scrambled up and continued to scream like the little girl I apparently am.

"AaaaayyyyyiiiEEEEE!!! A MOUSE! A MOOOOUUUSSEEEE!!"

THANK GOD Patrick was home and AWAKE. Otherwise, not only would I not have finished that load of laundry but I also wouldn't have gotten off of the kitchen table. Folks, I learned something about myself this week: I don't like mice. AT ALL. I mean, in cages or out in fields, they're freaking adorable. I'll even hold them! But in my house with my shoes that they can crawl into and attack my feet should I unknowingly put it on is NOT COOL. That scenario reduces me into a little ball of icked-out shivers and screams.

My dashing prince of a husband, though he was on his way up to bed, took one look at me, and said,

"Really? You really can't wait for me to buy a trap later on?"

My incoherent collection of high-pitched vowels "AAAYyyiieeeeeeAAAIIIIIEEEE!!!" forced the poor guy to get dressed and trudge out to pick up a no-kill trap.

While we waited for him, I shouted instructions to Justin on the settings to finish the load of laundry from my trembling perch atop the table. Once Pat was home, he loaded up the trap with peanut butter, placed it in a "good spot" * and stumbled off to bed, shaking his head the whole time.

And then I cleaned the heck out of the family room. There was NO WAY I was letting that little guy get any ideas about venturing past the laundry room.** With 3 kids, there were plenty of surprises under the couch that a furry visitor might find interesting. Using tongs***, I picked up toys, socks, Cheerios and candy wrappers from under the couch and out of its cushions. My kids thought I was freaking hilarious at first;

"Hahahaha!! It's just a little MOUSE, Mommy! Why are you so freaked out?!?"

But as I continued with the ranting and raving over the crumbs and crud, they realized that I was SERIOUS. The younger two wisely put on their shoes and coats and ran out into the muddy backyard to escape my wrath. Justin remained inside and lent me moral support.

Once I had vacuumed every inch of our family room, I climbed BACK onto the table and told Justin to check the trap. Nothing. Not a critter. Damn. The day continued without any luck, and I somehow managed to do a flying leap past the laundry room door to the staircase so that we could go to bed.

"Can we sleep in your room tonight!??"

"YES. Yes you can. Right next to me, in fact." My plot, naturally, was to distract the mouse from nibbling on MY hair by surrounding myself with my children. They're juicier and smell like cookies, anyway... And people? I even locked the bedroom door. As if that would stop a mouse, smaller than a pink eraser, from entering my room. Sigh...

The drama continued when I woke the next morning. Justin volunteered to check the trap again.

"We caught him! We caught him!" He came running out of the laundry room HOLDING THE TRAP WITH THE MOUSE IN IT! I could even see its squirmy tail through the plastic!

"GET IT OUT! GET IT OUT!" Again with the screaming and darting from the room. It was decided**** that the mouse simply couldn't wait until Daddy got home from work. They HAD to let him go. So we all put on our shoes and coats and trudged to the field down the road. This is where I am grateful to have an 11 year old son. HE carried the trap and HE released it into the field (where it most likely became a meal for a hawk). When we got home, HE put more peanut butter into the trap and put it in the garage because I knew that that was where that critter came from. And, later on, when we caught TWO MORE MICE (bleerrcccghhhhh) HE brought them down to the field again to set them free. There definitely are advantages to this whole "pre-teen boy" thing. Not enough to offset the hormone fluctuations, but advantages, nonetheless...

After 2 days and no new rodents in a trap in either the garage or laundry room, I am able to cautiously reach my hand around the corner to grab a can of tomatoes off of the pantry shelves from the laundry room. No more laundry has been or will be done by me until I am 100% sure that it is SAFE to enter. Therefore, my darling children will be making the laundry room chain. I am looking at this as a life education experience. Everyone needs to know how to load the laundry, right?



* What's a good spot for a mouse trap? I wouldn't know because I never looked. I don't know that I WANT to know where a good spot is. I mean, that would mean that that location would be the most ideal for the mice to lurk within for future attacks, right?

** Yes, I KNOW that he most likely ran rampant through my entire home while I was asleep. I KNOW THIS and I am trying to be positive and not acknowledge it too often so that my little brain doesn't explode from the sheer ickiness of that thought. Be kind and help perpetuate my fantasy, won't you?

*** Can you imagine me using bare hands? What if he ran out and OVER MY HANDS?!? Hell no...

**** By the kids, not by me. I was all for the traps that snap the mice in half as a grisly example for any other rodents who might want to risk entry into my home....

24 comments:

Gucci Mama said...

Oh no. I probably would have died. Glad you survived. You're a braver woman than I .

Me said...

Oh Ugh. *shudder* Like Gucci Mama, I might have died...My family would have had a petrified Mother atop the kitchen table. Or I'd have frozen to death outside because I refused to come back into the house. Urgggh!

Karen said...

Oh my!! I had a critter problem in my Apt last year and it was THE WORST. I slept on the couch for weeks and finally had an exterminator come in and plug EVERY single crack and hole and spray and I thankfully never saw another one again or else I would be right there with you on the table!

Mom24 said...

Very, very funny. Lots of empathy. We've had mice in the house, we've had bats in the house, and we've had a red squirrel in the house. Not a fan of wildlife inside.

Sarah RDH said...

hahaha, I flip out when I see a mouse too! My mom used to buy little fake mice for our cats toys and one time under the sink, it was a real dead mouse, not a toy. Gross.

Pregnantly Plump said...

So funny! Our cats are pains some of the time, and though they are total wussies, we haven't had a mouse since we got them!
I have a similar reaction to lizards, though. One ran through my parents' kitchen 2 years ago and I freaked out! I never knew I had such an aversion until I saw that slimy thing scamper under their fridge.

Joy said...

I'm still icking for you over here. Thank goodness, indeed, for 11 year old boys. And what better incentive for them to learn about laundry! It is an essential skill!! ;)

Stacia said...

I bet they were Bernard and Miss Bianca, you know, from The Rescuers? They probably read your Blogtrotting post and wanted to drop in for a visit. =>

mep said...

Oh, it's been a while since we've had a mouse (KNOCK ON WOOD), but I always feel so violated.

Glad you got them and that you have a mouse dumper. I go straight for the neck-cracker traps myself, but perhaps I'll be more humane when my kids are old enough to notice.

kailani said...

They're no way I would have slept in my house if there was a mouse running around. Or a cockaroach. We had a huge one in the kitchen once and I took the kids and locked ourselves in my room until DH came home. :-)

Daisygirl said...

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww! I have yet to find mouse in the house but I don't think they are as common in the desert! I would have died...seriously! And then I probably would have freaked out my kids for the rest of their lives!
I agree your kiddoz need to learn laundry..haha!

ThingsToDoWithKids said...

I am with you! I would have FREAKED OUT!!! I too hate mice. And I would have made my husband buy me the trap that sentences the mouse to death! How dare that mouse enter MY home. I hope you are all done with your creepy crawlers for now. Good Luck!

AiringMyLaundry said...

Eek!

I'd have screamed like a girl too.

Unknown said...

We used to get a few mice in our basement when the weather would turn cold. Now, we have three cats to guard the house. ;-)

Unknown said...

"They're juicier and smell like cookies, anyway..." And yes, the keyboard is dry now and it still works.

Kat said...

We had that at our old house. It REALLY pissed me off. At first I was all about the live traps. Until the sneaky little SOBs kept coming back. Then I was all, "GET THEM!" and off my hubby went to purchase the yucky traps. Little buggers.

Hope this ends your visitor problem. :)

Ruby said...

I would have freaked too! Glad they're gone. Hilarious story!

"They're juicier and smell like cookies, anyway..." Lol!!!

Scarlett said...

Oh no!

Mice in the house are not cool.

Although I think cleaning under my couch might be nearly as frightening as a mouse.

anymommy said...

I would make fun of you endlessly, but I'm exactly the same way about spiders.

mrs.notouching said...

I don't even like hamsters... Just reading this makes want to live in the very CENTER of the city with no greenery what so ever. Not really, but close...

sheila said...

I would have had a cardiac arrest. We had a mouse once here. Not pretty. Once we had one at our other house and they told us to use chewed grape bubble yum gum in the trap. Caught that sucker in 30 minutes.

Gettysburg Mom said...

Judging by the comments, I'd say you touched a nerve.

Do you remember my post about the nursing mouse in the Mountain House shed? Good times, good times. I'm not afraid of them- they just make me very, very angry with their destructive behavior and pooping or peeing wherever- whenever.

And don't you have a cat?

we are reilly said...

Oh my goodness -- you make me laugh...not because you were being ridiculous, but because I would have reacted the EXACT SAME WAY! I remember when I was babysitting in high school and I saw a mouse at the house I was sitting -- I stayed on top of a hard chair for SEVERAL hours before the parents came home...I just couldn't come to put my feet down -- because you know if I would have even touched a toe to the ground, that little mouse would have, at that instant, ran up to me and eaten all my toes!!! I just know that's what would have happened!

Stacia said...

I had a run-in with a four-legged scurrying creature in the garage last night and immediately thought of this post. Aggggghhhhhhhhhh! Save me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails