Saturday, March 20, 2010

Blogtrotting: Burbs Style


Sending a little shout-out to my new friends via the Blogtrotting Blog! Yo! Thanks to Cara, my bloggy-buddy who tolerated my tagalonging* at BlogHer '09, I am this week's spotlight or highlight or whatever she likes to call the posts that are being put at the top for the moment. Check out her blog is what I'm saying, ok?

I DIGRESS! I do that a lot.

It's a common trait of mine. My apologies for the above and for any digressions which will most likely occur below. Because, well... it happens.


Plainfield, Illinois. Yup. That's where we live. I've been feebly hiding our location for a while. But now it's out, so commence with the stalking. I'm not worried cuz we have a gun.*


So, we live in Plainfield. What a fun name, eh? Couldn't get any more exciting than a plain field. Especially one that is renowned for the deadly tornado that hit in 1990. Folks round these parts are still talking about that one. In fact, when we first told our friends and family that we were moving here, we were met with the general response of "Not TORNADO TOWN?!? Are you serious?" I vividly recall that storm. It was during the days before I was to start high school. My sisters and I were home in the town nearby. We got to watch our brand new, heavy duty patio furniture FLY across the lawn. I was highly intelligent back then and decided to go out there and rescue it. Yeah... I went out into the high winds of a tornado to rescue patio furniture. Ahhh, teenagers...

ANYway. Due to the tornado, money was invested in cleaning up the town and fixing the problems that the storm brought. New schools, parks and storefronts brought interest and a housing boom to the town and Plainfield is now BEAUTIFUL. Here's a link to some gorgeous photos taken by other people of my town.
I've found tons of historical information on Plainfield in preparation for this post. Stuff like the old Electric Park in the early 1900's which drew vacationing Chicagoans away from the city in the summertime. I learned that North Central College (in nearby Naperville, which my own sister attended) was first located in Plainfield (it was formerly called Plainfield College. Fancy that!). So, like most towns, I discovered that my own has a rich and full history.

Civil War Reenactment at nearby Dollinger Farm, Minooka, IL.

Interesting though that may be, it is a bit dull, isn't it? Instead, I'd like to tell you about Plainfield TODAY. What Plainfield currently means to me and my family is a place that just feels like home. We have been met with more kindness and friendship than ignorance or cruelty. We have found ourselves surrounded by people of all colors and religions despite what the previous census of this formerly small, Midwestern town shows. Our children have opportunities to explore everything from archery and fencing to soccer and ballet. Plainfield's close proximity to Chicago (about 40 minutes South, all interstate travel) makes it possible for my children to experience all that Chicago and its other surrounding suburbs have available. The museums, stadiums and concert halls are all within an easy driving distance without being directly on top of us.
During a neighborhood party full of free games and food!

But my favorite parts of Plainfield are located just outside our front door... Our neighbors. Patrick and I have made many friends within our neighborhood. Friends who are willing to come to my home in the middle of the night when I need to run a child to the emergency room. Friends who call ME to watch THEIR children when they need to go to the emergency room to deliver their next baby! Friends that will remain within our family's history and timelines. And those people are what make Plainfield more than just where we live. They make it HOME. My children are being raised in this town and will consider it their home for all of their adult lives. No matter where they move, this town will be used as their frame of reference when someone asks, "So, where are you from?"

I hope they're always proud to answer with "Plainfield".

* Not really. But we do have ninja swords.**

** No joke. And I know how to use 'em.

21 comments:

JC said...

Glad you are loving where you live!

Gucci Mama said...

That sounds like such a wonderful place to live!

I've always wanted to go to a Civil War reinactment. Is it as awesome as I assume it must be?

mrs.notouching said...

When we first moved to Fremont CA I was not too happy... I am a city girl and this was not the CA I've always dreamed off. We moved there mostly because it was a "family town" and a you could get more space for way less money. A year later we are moving again to a bigger place and even though I have a choice to move to a bigger city I don't want to anymore. I never thought I would love this place but there is just something comforting about knowing most of my neighbors by name and the neighborhood that is mostly built for kids and families. Never thought I would say that.

Daisygirl said...

Think I may be moving to Plainfield..you painted a fabulous picture! And the pictures of you with hubby and your daughter are super cute!

Very smart on adding you had ninja swords ;)

CaraBee said...

Dude, I have always wanted ninja swords. With a holder thingie that I wore on my back so I could whip it out lickety split in a battle. Cause, you know, I'm doing battle ALL THE TIME.

I think Plainfield sounds deee-lightful. Exactly the kind of place you want to live and raise chillins.

Incidentally, my hometown (Emporia, KS) had a big tornado that leveled half the town in 1990. Weird.

Cynthia said...

I am so lame, I still haven't figured out where this is...and I know you've told me more than once:P

Eliza said...

Ok, we are sooooo close to you. ::::cough::::Yorkville:::::Cough:::::. We have ninja swords too! And a really mean guard dog.

mep said...

I'm so excited to move to the Chicago burbs and to give my kids a place they can claim as "home" for the rest of their lives!

Your neighbors sound wonderful! Lucky you!

Shelley said...

Congratulations on being featured. What a great place to live. Thanks for sharing with us.

Stacia said...

Just goes to show there really is no place like home ... even if you have to rescue your patio furniture from time to time. (Maybe the swords can help with that??)

Babe in Babeland said...

AWESOME!! Your town sounds wonderful. The people are what make home really feel like home, you know? Thanks for sharing about your town. Loved reading it!

Trish said...

I love visiting Chicago....knowing that there is such a great place to live within a close proximity.....I should move there!

And I love a community that faces a disaster, mourns the loss, and then pulls itself up by the bootstraps to rebuild itself better than it was before!

Unknown said...

Hey, neighbor. We moved into Plainfield in October of '89. JUST in time to be all settled in when August of '90 came roaring through town. But that's a whole long story all in itself. And dontcha just love Cara to pieces? I do.

Anonymous said...

We're just up I-55 from you!

mom, interrupted said...

Fun tour - isn't great to live in a place that's ao awesome for kids?

I've always wanted a Ninja sword. But if I had one, I'd probably have to get those pointy stars that you can throw too. One thing always leads to another.

mom, interrupted said...

I hate it when I have a typo. . .

Sharlene said...

I think the quality of people in your community is just as important the actual piece of the world it sits on. It soundslike you are surrounded by some great people. I am sorry to hear about the tragedy that the tornado brought but so glad to hear the rebuilding has brought such wonderful things. I would totally be down to watch a civil war reinactment. Maybe if I am every in the area... :)

I am hosting on Blogtrotting today. i hope you will come and visit me!

E... said...

Sounds like your corner of suburbia is a lot like mine. We're even in tornado alley too. O. came home from school yesterday all excited about his first tornado drill and the fact that he got to get on the floor underneath the sink in the girl's bathroom.
You are so fortunate to have such good neighbors.

Sue said...

In that top picture it looks a lot like your husband has a big, curly ponytail. LOL

Kristi said...

Great post. Can I have some of your neighbors? In my new neighborhood, I seem to be a pariah. Apparently, I scream "Three Small Kids!!!" and not in a good way. Ah, well. Plainfield sounds awesome.

She'sWrite said...

You're right, the burbs do have a lot to offer families. I understand about the fantastical neighbors thing too. We've got some great ones and many close friends that live about two minutes away, it's nice to redefine what your "extended family" is.

Related Posts with Thumbnails