Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A trip downtown

After a series of mishaps, we finally made it to the Museum of Science and Industry, yesterday. It was practically empty and a free day (all of January weekdays are FREE! Take advantage of it, folks!) AND I didn't have my daycare baby on Monday or Tuesday so we had had had to go. (Sadly, our attempt at going on Monday fell through due to a car door left open all weekend. Can you say "Dead Battery?")

I adore that museum. Absolutely adore it. My kids respond so well to its layout and exhibits and (unlike the aquarium or Field Museum) about 90% of it doesn't require additional tickets. I absolutely despise museums or attractions that do that to you...

Justin is now much more interested in the periodic table, after seeing it laid out in detail with physical representations. We're considering making our own flip book of pictures of things around the house for as many elements as we can. Could be a fun project!He read Every. Single. Element.
Especially the radioactive ones. Those are the best, obviously.
Who knew there was a rock wall at the Museum of Science and Industry? I sure didn't... The children's play and explore area. Fabulous. All 3 of my kids love it there. Even Justin who spent tons of time making an enormous gear thingy-bob...A baby chick, only hours old, hopping around in front of Evan. It was absolutely adorable to listen to the kids cheering on the chicks that were still in their eggs. Their tiny little egg-teeth would poke up and out of small holes and we watched as the unbroken ones were rocking back and forth. Amazing... This was only moments after Evan successfully cloned a goat's embryo on a hands-on exhibit. The best part is he RETAINED the information and kept describing how it is done. That right there made the entire trip worth the cost of parking.

An entire day out without any arguments, traffic jams, or bad weather! An entire day of honest-to-gosh HANDS-ON learning that we all benefited from! I'm marking this one down as a Good Day and hoping that today continues along the same path!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Jeez, it's been a LONG time since we've been there. I have always loved going - but somehow, just don't seem to get there anymore. Kids are grown and stuff, I guess. But by golly, I gotta go. And I will.

Stacia said...

The radioactive elements are indeed the best! Thanks for recapping your fun day. Hope the vacuum didn't mind the house to himself. =>

Gucci Mama said...

That looks like such a fun day! I love stuff like that.

Unknown said...

Awesome! That's my kind of museum!

Daisygirl said...

love museums like that...we have one here in phoenix that is awesome too!

CaraBee said...

What a great day! Love the periodic table at home idea!

We have a science museum here that is very kid friendly. I look forward to taking Sophie there. In a few years. When she's not an insane toddler. Sigh.

Cynthia said...

You should have called me...I totally would have met you:)

sheila said...

Oooo, that does look wonderfully fun! And free! Whooo Hooo!

Unplanned Cooking said...

What a smart kid! I love our science museum, too.

Tonya said...

that is good to know it is free all month! GG's birthday is on Sunday maybe I could talk my hubby into pulling the kids out of school one day next week and going!

CJ said...

Do they still have the developing fetuses??? That was always my favorite! I haven't been there in years!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an amazing place! As a homeschooler, have you heard of www.qwizzysworld.com ? It might be a good way to reinforce some of the lessons learned! You might want to check it out!

Michelle said...

now that looks like a fun place to take the kids!

Related Posts with Thumbnails