Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Science is simply Magic, explained.

Why is it that we keep trying to suck the magic out of everything? A beautiful rainbow is no longer a mysterious treasure from the heavens or a sign of something wonderful to come. Now, when our kids exclaim over a rainbow, we feel the need to explain that the colors are actually always in the sky but we can't see them because of the bending light and atmosphere and water molecules and blah blah blah... The mists on the morning ground may seem mysterious and spooky for our children until we are compelled to analyze the reasons why the warm ground and cold air react the way they do when the sun starts to rise. And, by the way kids; the sun isn't actually rising! It's the EARTH that's moving!

Ugh. Everything is explainable. Everything has to have a scientific cause and effect. Nothing can remain beautiful and magical, simply because it IS. The fairies cannot live in the mists. There are no leprechauns at the end of that rainbow. And it is "supposed" to be assumed that as adults, we should obviously have no belief in real magic of any kind. Unless, of course, it's a belief in an organized religion. Then, by all means! Believe in those miracles and magic! But not in the magic of nature or myths. Because THAT? That's just childish.

Well then, I must be a child. I must be, because I believe in possibilities. I believe that it is entirely possible that I may glimpse a fairy in the woods. I have absolutely no doubt that some of those "illusionists" that we try so desperately to "figure out" have true, actual, magical abilities. I don't watch their hands and try to understand. I simply smile in awe and wish that I could have a touch of that power for real.

So, my kids are told this. My kids are told that I rule nothing out. After all, just because we know how a baby is grown and developed in the womb doesn't mean we know why. And really? Do you really want to know? If scientists are able to "figure out" the real causes of the beginnings of life, would it make it any less magical?

11 comments:

Cynthia said...

Never rule out magic and fairies:)

Unknown said...

never rule out God and Jesus. :) I believe that anything is possible, but I put my faith in one Truth.

Personally I can't believe more people don't believe in Aliens.

Just Sayin'

sheila said...

Yeah, that's what they sayyyy anyhow! lol. If science was really so smart, it would figure out where that left sock goes after you put it into the dryer.

OHmommy said...

I always hated science growing up and even now. My kids are only starting to question everything and my silly stories are no longer working. Sigh.

Gucci Mama said...

I hear you there. Everyone deserves a little magic in their lives, no matter their age.

Unknown said...

Don't hate science. Hate the scientist.

I have no idea what that means.

Issa said...

I believe in magic. Fully. Which is why I keep hoping one day, I will find my House Elf.

If you only believe in what you can see and feel, life just isn't very exciting anymore.

Sue said...

My little girl scored poorly on the science section of her standardized test last year for that very reason. She thinks the universe is "hiding behind the moon." She swears she saw a fairy last summer out in the yard. My husband and I just smile and enjoy her.

Debbie said...

Lost socks go to alternate universes. That's what I tell Hubs anyway.

I've come to learn with the 4 year old, that I will never be able to explain everything. He always asks the inevitable unanswerable "why".

And I'm just fine with that.

E... said...

Is it weird that I love science AND magic? That I think they can co-exist beautifully, because there is no end to what we can be wondering about and imagining is possible?? I totally get your point, and hope to never extinguish the sense of wonder that so delights me in my children.

Kelly said...

Science is not everything! We (as in the human race) think we know everything when in fact, we know so little.

:)
Kelly
Fellow Mum Blogger
beafunmum.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails