Monday, November 23, 2009

Can you feel it Mr. Crabs? Can you feel it? *


I can feel it. Can you? That beginning of anticipation for the holidays? The expectation of how fabulous and wonderful it will all be? The children will be joyful and grateful for the lovingly chosen gifts their parents have managed to purchase! Cookies will be baked while they press their noses to the frosty windows, eyes upturned to the sky, wondering at how a reindeer can fly! The weather will be crisp and cool, with lovely clumps of fluffy snowflakes falling on the ground. Not a trace of ice or brutal wind! No, the weather will be more than agreeable as every family gathering includes delicious (yet easily prepared!) meals ending in carols sung around the piano while the fire crackles in the fireplace. There will be no tears over a toy not received! The lack of sleep and high expectations won't backfire into a silly argument over how to discipline a whining child! The smoke alarm shall never break the rhythm of Bing Crosby's solo. No dogs or toddlers will spill milk/pop/water/etc. all over the pergo flooring, causing grandparents or cousins to experience a one-socked death skate into the dessert table.

Nope! None of that.

Of course, if any of the above does take shape this holiday season, I hope that I am able to step back and laugh and remember it all. I hope that the craziness that inevitably accompanies any holiday only adds to our memories. I know that it's actually the wildest aspects of a Thanksgiving or Christmas gathering that are the parts we remember the fondest.

What's the wildest that's ever happened at your family's parties?

* I know that I'm not the only parent to recite this phrase over and over and over again. Right?

9 comments:

Mom24 said...

I am TOTALLY coming to your house this year if that's what your holidays will be like. :-)

The wildest thing that ever happened was when my sister swung her son (2 years old maybe) up into the ceiling fan and shattered the light. Oops!

Manic Mommy said...

I'm Ready! (No, you're not alone).

Ah, yes. We never have drama around the holidays. Activities and meals go exactly as planned and we all bask in the warm glow of a fire singing Silent Night hand-in-hand...

Hannah said...

Oh wow, look at all these posts I have missed!! For some reason, none of them have shown up on my feed reader!! I just thought "Tracey hasn't blogged for awhile" and came to check it out ... then noticed that yes you HAVE blogged but I didn't know!

As for drama around the holidays, I know for a fact that many people have it! Just one of those things, I guess! Whenever we want something to go smoothly, there are usually a few "bumps" in the road. But memories are created all the same, and that's still neat.

Unknown said...

I remember the time when my then 6 year old little cousin Debbie, in response to some perceived tragedy or other, threw herself into Grandma's lap - only to bounce back in shock, horror and total surprise as the contact of her head made a loud and hollow BONK!! on Grandma's brand new artificial leg.

Loukia said...

Great post! Haha... I blogged about Christmas and traditions today, too... a holiday filled with only happiness, glee and no tantrums or bad weather? Yes, please! ;)

P.S. Loved your comment on Nap Warden's blog... I am a newly addicted and obsessed Twilight fan... I don't even know whats's come over me!!

Issa said...

4th of July party when I was 10, my dad set fire to the trees in the back yard. :) The neighbors called the firs department and my dad was like, oh the spark must have come from the high school. My baby brother, 8 years old, No mr. fireman, see daddy had this firecracker and ... Yeah.

Two years later, we moved into a new house. Guess who our neighbor was? Mr. fire chief. He still remembered us.

Sarah RDH said...

Huh, well off hand, the best "wild" thing I can remember, is drunk Santa. Every Christmas Eve we go to my hubs grandma's, the whole family is there, and someone always dresses up as Santa for the kids & hands out gifts. Santa showed up drunk about 3 years ago. And drove a rusty Caprice. We're high class.

bernthis said...

being Jewish our Hannukahs were pretty bland and the seders. Not a lot of just parties in my home growing up

mep said...

A few Christmases ago, my niece (then 2 or so) had the biggest meltdown ever once evening came. She threw gifts across the room (heavy ones) as she screamed and cried. Then, she took off all her clothes. It took six people to wrestle her into a diaper and then her parents had to put her in the car seat to go home in only a diaper and just throw a blanket over her. Good times.

Related Posts with Thumbnails