Tuesday, November 24, 2009

100 Word Challenge

My first attempt at a 1-word prompt. Let's see how this goes, shall we?

Velvet Verbosity's word for this week:

~Give~


Once tender and soft,
now calloused and thin,
I give you my skin as I scour your
dishes,
floors,
and muddy clothes.

Once streaked with red and styled with care,
now streaked with white
and split at the ends,
I give you my hair as salon money is saved for your
favorite books,
shoes that fit only briefly,
and extra cheese pizza.

Once saved for lengthy, pulse-pounding stares across smoke-filled rooms,
now saved for pistaschio-flavored kisses over Lego-strewn floors,
I give you my heart.
Every ounce of my love,
Every bit of my hopes,
rest within your 6 sticky hands...


10 comments:

Kimberly said...

Beautiful.

Swistle said...

Oh! I was just going to skip right over this because, well, poems, but I got sucked in despite myself and really liked it!

E... said...

Wow.
You're making me want to write poetry again.
Love the contrasts, and the imagery puts you RIGHT THERE -- in both those worlds you inhabit, one in memory, one in reality.
I think you should keep doing this sort of thing. Amazing what an assignment can do to get you going, isn't it?

Manic Mommy said...

That was lovely. And true.

Unknown said...

Lovely piece, Tracey. Well done. Leave a link to this post in the comments of the post that announced the word.

CaraBee said...

Oh Tracey, that was just beautiful. So real. Very well done, madame. Bravo.

Debbie said...

Beautiful Tracey. I love it.

PattiKen said...

This is lovely.

Velvet Verbosity said...

Absolutely loved it!

Patsy said...

Excellent capture of what a mother does. It is beautiful.

Related Posts with Thumbnails