Monday, June 29, 2009

Sparklers and luxury

Go America!

Despite our family and nation's economic and social problems, I am proud and grateful to live in the USA. Considering the options around the world, any of us with the ability and luxury to be posting on a blog are exceptionally lucky people, indeed.

And nothing screams "Patriotic Americans" louder than giving your 10 and under offspring flaming fireworks...
Father looks on proudly. Mother stands behind him, trying not to wring her hands. Instead, I document it for the internet to judge me on...



Always in battle and ready to defend.
I'm thinking her "Dorothy" dress isn't flame retardant...

After this past month, I really needed the relaxation that last night and this weekend brought. We attended a FREE neighborhood carnival, which allowed my kids the ability to enjoy the freedom of wandering the fair without actually being in thousands of people. Justin and his buddy got to wander for hours on end, feeling as though they were "on their own" when I could easily spot them at any given moment. I'm sure he'll remember the fair for the feeling of freedom he got. Add to that, an impromptu sleepover and then a spur-of-the-moment fireworks show in our front yard (nothing illegal... I don't think. Mostly sparklers!) and you end up with me feeling pretty relaxed.

I'm trying to adopt the "don't worry about what we can't change" mentality that Patrick has. Without dwelling on our finances too much, let me just say that they are NOT GOOD. As in, well, Bad.

On the brighter side, though? We sold an extra stove that was in our garage for 4 years. Grocery money! And Patrick has someone interested in a random musical apparatus that has been collecting dust in our basement. Gas money! We're now looking into the rest of our extra crap to see what might be worth some dough. Basically, cleaning our closet for cash. Killing two birds and all.

Another relief for my psyche is the abundance of products I've been reviewing. You can benefit too, as I have giveaways for each new item! Please check them out, as I think you'll like them. Stainless steel water bottles and organic snacks, anyone?

12 comments:

Gucci Mama said...

Sparklers are my FAVORITE. Everyone always makes fun of me because I only like the tame stuff. But I prefer to think of it as refined instead of lame.

Hang in there...things will look up soon. Thinking of you;)

Alyson Enola said...

Sparklers are my favorite too! All the memories of my summers at my grandparents house just rush over me! I love them. Plus my kids think I'm magic because I can stick my hand in the sparks and not get burned. It sounds/looks like you guys had a lot of fun! Everything will fall into place just wait and see!

Hannah said...

I love sparklers! And they are really the safest things to give the kids to play with, while the adults light the bigger ones. It's so much fun writing your name in the sky!

Sorry that things are so tough for you guys right now. Hang in there, I know things will get easier.

sheila said...

I can't stand fireworks and kids. I get sooo nervous. my daughter once (under my neighbors watch - yeah, I know, dumb) burned her foot a few years back. Uhhhh!

Glad to hear your able to unload stuff for extra cash. I joined in the citywide garage sale here and it was just horrible. You know it's real bad when people aren't buying old junk. lol. :(

CaraBee said...

I love fireworks. When I was a kid, we always spent the fourth at my grandparents lakehouse and in addition to the lake's show, we did a bunch of fireworks. Great memories.

I'm so sorry things are rough, but congrats on making some loot on that old stuff you don't want/need.

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

Looks like fun and just what the doctor ordered! I do hope things turn around for you soon, that stuff is stressful. Good for you guys for being resourceful!

Gettysburg Mom said...

My husband loves fireworks. He doesn't see a problem with kids and sparklers and whatnot. I tend to spend that time gnawing on various fingers imagining what the trip to the ER will be like.

I sold a vast number of books last year. I used cash4books.net, but there are lots of other sites too.

Allison said...

I am hoping to find many a free entertainment for our family this summer! - and for those that are not....bottle return money will help.

Sounds like a very nice weekend you had!

Cynthia said...

These days, free entertainment is gold. I know what you mean...we are stressing as well. I hope it gets better for all of us soon:)

Adaptable Kay said...

Sparklers are my sister and my favorite part ever since we were little kids =]
It's a tradition ya know!

Momo Fali said...

My son burned his fingers on a sparkler last year. After the flame went out, he touched the stick and it was still hot. It worked out pretty well though, because we had party guests who WOULD NOT LEAVE and that cleared the house out real quickly. There. Now people can judge me instead of you!

Christina said...

Pretty pics of the kids with sparklers! I used to love trying to spell my name with sparklers as a kid.

And I hear ya on the not good finances. We're at the point of selling off stuff we don't need, too. But hey, at least it's helping to declutter the house too, right?

Related Posts with Thumbnails