Sunday, March 08, 2009

Where's the rainbow after this storm?

Soooo... how was your weekend? Mmm-hmmmm... yeah. Sounds like a blast.

Mine? Really want to know? Because this streak of FABULOUS luck might just make you violently green...

Well, I spent all day on Saturday cleaning out the desk area and moving things back about 2 feet to make space for Justin's homeschool desk. I spent the moments in between cleaning and moving things feeling nauseous. Can I really pull my child from school? Is this something I am brave enough to do? Because HOLY CRAP, I AM SCARED.

Thankfully, Justin is so pumped about this idea that he cleaned the desk, organized it with pencils and paper and such, and even begged me for schoolwork. After I warmed up from hell freezing over, I scrambled to find some work online, but only found a few random math sheets and what-not. Because I am NOT READY to homeschool yet! I was planning on starting in a few weeks, after his recorder recital at school.


And then I got to thinking about all the things he would "miss" by being at home instead of public school. And then I thought about all of the things he might miss out on if he STAYS in school (like, oh, an education without being targeted as weird or difficult). And then I stopped googling homeschool pages and such because my little brain couldn't handle it. And THEN I startd to think about the lack of alone time I would be getting. That I was looking forward to time alone with just Corinne. And that I don't know if it's fair to any of my children to have different schooling experiences....


And then I had a glass of wine. Because I was mentally exhausted.
And then my pregnant neighbor dropped her 5 kids off for a few hours because she had to go to the emergency room for a high fever and bronchitis (she's ok. Thank God!).

This morning, after giving Justin a math lesson (he figured out dividing fractions. In ONE lesson. Big confidence boost!) I went into the basement to get the large pad of paper to do a science project he wants to start on the solar system.
Unfortunately, we never got around to doing that project because there was an inch of water in my basement. Again. And? This time, just for kicks, we got to deal with the freezer being turned off all night (lovely lightning storm last night). The SMELL was horrendous!! We also discovered that the sump pump wasn't working. So we got to buy a new pump in addition to needing to pitch craploads of spoiled food Which is fun, because our money situation is so stable right now...

boxes and boxes of books and Patrick's sports cards that narrowly missed the water. Again. Because I wasn't diligent enough the last time to see them in the far corner...

It could be worse. It could be worse. It could be worse.



I repeated this mantra as I squeegied the water into the hole with the new pump chugging away.
It could be worse. It can always be worse...

But man....

It could be so much better right now, too...

20 comments:

Desiree said...

Oh my word what a pain in the butt.

I hope water never plagues you in such a way ever again!

anymommy said...

I...don't know what to say. Have another glass of wine, or two, tonight. On all of your stress over schooling (totally justified), your decision isn't irreversible. You can try it for the rest of this year and change your mind. On schooling your children differently, I would lay that one down, seriously. Children are unique, you are being the best mom you can possibly be when you respond to each one according to their needs.

andria said...

I am going to have a beer tonight just for you. (I'm not a wine fan GASP)

That's all enough to make my head spin. But you have a good attitude about it.

I wish I could help you. I know how you feel. Well, except for the wet basement. Since I don't have a basement.

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

Oh Tracey, I don't envy the decision you have to make about Justin, that is a tough one with so many pros and cons on both sides. It doesn't have to be permanent, maybe just a year and he'll be ready to go back to public school...or maybe you could work with him at home but he still goes to public school...I don't know. But you will figure it out, you will.

and the basement, for the love of all things! Here's to no more water!!!

Anonymous said...

Tracey, you really deserve that rainbow right about now! The stress of water in your basement is one thing, but on top of everything else? It's just unfair.

I don't envy your difficult decision regarding homeschooling Justin. Only you know what is right for your child, and even if you give it a try for a year, it won't mean you are a failure if you end up sending him back to school. Perhaps it's one of those "for a season/reason" things ... it won't be a permanent arrangement, but will fill a need that he has right NOW. Anyway, I know you will make the right choice, whatever it may be.

(((Hugs)))!!

OHmommy said...

Oh Tracey. I hope you had one BIG glass of vino. Hugs.

Badness Jones said...

Oh hon! That sucks! Hubs was shop-vacing water out of our basement this weekend too.

I know that in some places groups of homeschooling families work together, splitting up lessons, working with kids in small groups, like an alternative school. Maybe you could find a group in your area that would let you hold on to some of your alone time?

Gettysburg Mom said...

I agree with anymommy. As a Mom you try to address each child's unique needs.

If Patrick wants his cards, he should have been home to see them in the corner. You're completely guilt free on that one.

Breathe in, breathe out.

Tonya said...

I agree with anymommy. I'm so sorry you basement flooded again. So not cool.

Vodka Mom said...

Im sending you a box of wine. Looks like you need it.

Karen said...

Sucko! Hugs to you! I LOVE that even in the icky moments you grab the camera to share them with us. I never think of doing that!

the mama bird diaries said...

Girl, you have A LOT on your plate. Hang in there. It will get better.

CJ said...

I am so, so sorry! I can't imagine how full your hands are....but you're right, it could be worst! It WILL be better, sooner or later (and I know we all prefer the sooner) but hang in there!

Kristi said...

Ah, Tracey. I'm giving you a big virtual hug right now. Yes, it can always be worse, but geez-you're dealing with your fair share right now.

I hope things improve for you really soon...or if not, I hope for a never-ending supply of wine at your disposal.

Allison said...

things have got to get better!

Sounds like Justin has a very positive outlook on the home schooling. That is a plus.

I think once you get in a good routine, it will be great. You are a good mom. This will be a big sacrifice for you, but in the long run - that is what we do right?

CaraBee said...

Man, when it rains, it pours. Sorry you had such a bad weekend.

Mama Smurf said...

And ditto to your first comment about the spacing issues...seriously....what is that all about anyway??

I hope things get easier for you.

meandering mama said...

I'm so sorry that you're going through all this, especially while trying tackle some pretty big issues... while not necessarily the same situation, those damn bugs have cost us thousands (and counting), my daughter is sick, and the car just cost us a bundle in repairs this morning? ;-p Someday, we WILL see sunshine.

hang in there. I'll say a prayer for you.

Sarah said...

I just commented on Chicago Mom's Blog, but ALSO...

You pay taxes for the public schools. They lose money if you aren't enrolled. In many (many) places, you can use the resources you want (sports, music, library), and leave the ones you don't (classes). Definitely look into that!

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

That's been my slogan lately too..."it could be worse."

Here's hoping for things to get better....really soon!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails