Monday, March 16, 2009

In which I discover a few unsavory tidbits about myself...

I am such a horrible mother. I mean, what mom actually gets ANGRY at her kid for coughing too loudly? Huh?

But it is SO. Annoying. And right behind me. And the hack-hack-hack is usually followed by a whine of "you don't understaaaand how much this hurts..." which then leads into me gritting my teeth, biting back my words, before I utter "You don't even want to KNOW what kind of pain I've suffered, kid!" because what kid wants to hear about childbirth while he's trying to do a spelling list and math problems? Eh?

Yeah.

So, eldest child is coming down from the horrible, hacking, coughing, puking, cold that he has had since Thursday. And, right on cue, Corinne awoke this morning with a sore throat, warm forehead, and pitiful cough. Perfect!

Patrick and I muddled through the government's insurance (All Kids. I've heard good things about them, for anyone who's interested) and it seems as though the whole family will be covered for free right now. Our first bonus for no income!

I had a couple of moments of incredible gratitude and eye-opening introspection this weekend. First, a bloggy friend was very generous in an offer to help clothe my boys for the summer. Thankfully, we are not without clothing (yet!) so we are covered (HA!) for a while. But it was tremendously sweet. (And I appreciate it, dear friend. I'm sorry if my email was anything but grateful.) I have never been in a position where I actually NEEDED the help like this, and it's coming to me as a bit of a shock. I've never had problems receiving freebies before. If anything, I LOVE free stuff. It makes my day! But it feels different when you are on the true side of needing charity. It makes me uncomfortable and twisty inside...

Speaking of charity, my dad is a huge worrier when it comes to his kids. He wants to protect and care for all of us, and I know that this job situation of our family is bothering him waaaaay more than one would assume. He gave me several bags of groceries last night and I had to try hard to not cringe, knowing that they weren't because he just happened to overbuy groceries (a common problem for him. He loves to grocery shop.) but because he wanted to help us financially....

Swallow thy pride, woman...

A big eye opener for me is that I actually HAVE pride about this. I never realized it until the offers for aid began to pour in. And while I am more than grateful, and will accept the help that we need, I am getting a first-hand taste of the difference between "hand-outs" and "hand-ups".

THAT said, my Cub Scout pack is organizing a food drive this week. If you have any spare food in your pantry, or are going shopping, please consider helping out at the food pantries. They run low at this time of the year (heck, at EVERY time of the year!) and could use the supplies...
Post a Comment
Related Posts with Thumbnails