Thursday, March 26, 2009

How do I love thee?

One time, Patrick and I were at the zoo with our kids. It was frigid out, so we headed into the dolphin show and managed to get great seats, despite the arena being absolutely packed. Each show is a bit different, which is nice. You just never know what you're going to see!

At this particular show, the announcer asked for 2 adult volunteers. No WAY was I raising my hand! I had 3 little kids and was wearing a winter coat. The last thing I needed was to get covered in fishy dolphin water!

Thankfully, some other poor couple got chosen. HA! Poor thing, I thought as the guy dragged his woman to the stage...

The instructions were pretty simple: dolphins have great memories and will know things that we could never understand, blah blah blah, something about echo location, yadda yadda.... Ok. FINALLY, they have the couple throw a big, sealed container into the water, stating that the dolphins will know which ones are empty and which have things inside of them, simply by the way the sound bounces off of them. Strangely enough, Flipper* brought back one of the "empty" containers.

"That's odd," said the guy in the wetsuit. "They never make mistakes! Here, my hands are wet. Can you open this to make sure it really is empty?"

(If you're here from the linked site, you know where this is going, right?)

Sure as shit, inside that container that was thrown into a 20 foot deep pool filled with legless mammals, was an expensive engagement ring. The girl gasped. The audience Awwwwwed! The man was on one knee as hundreds of cameras flashed.

I? Was bawling. And then I slapped Patrick's knee. (All I could reach around our 3 offspring) I slapped him realllllly hard. For he will never live down the fact that his proposal to me was nowhere near as romantic as that one was!

If you want to see more lovey dovey crap, look over at The Glamorous Life. And let me know if you post your own romantic gestures for the whole world to coo over. I'll make sure to forward them to Patrick...

:)

*name was changed to protect innocent pinnipeds...

12 comments:

Gettysburg Mom said...

Better than mine. Shea was already nine months old when Rich said something like, "Hey, want to share that health insurance you've got. If we got married, I could have it too."

Makes your proposal seem all romantic now, doesn't it?

Allison said...

My proposal was a little like yours - I don't think Gary ever said the actual words either. And like your patrick Gary can't keep secrets. I think I knew he was buying the ring, I knew I was getting it, He gave it to me to put on, and we went to dinner....nothing earth shattering.

I do feel better now after reading gettysburg mom's proposal though!

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

Ha! Some guys are just not romantic but we still love them.

Mine has the cheesy moves but I got past it ;-)

Alex Elliot said...

That's one fabulous proposal!

Dawn said...

Awww... that was romantic!!

Tonya said...

That is too funny. How could you be mad at him you are married now! But that is a really awesome engagement story :)

kaila said...

I must say that the proposal on marcy's site was the most precious thing I have seen in a long ass time. However, flipper delivering a ring is pretty awesome too!

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhh! That's beautiful!

Don't feel bad...I bet YOUR proposal was better than mine. If you can call it that. "We should get married, wanna marry me?"

"Yeah, I'll marry you!"

How stupid.

Kat said...

Uh, yeah. My proposal wasn't like that either. ;)

CJ said...

My best friend proposed to his first fiancee that way! It was very sweet....but he never married her and is now divorced from the woman he DID marry! I guess the engagement isn't an indication of success!

anymommy said...

So sweet. I'll go with their story, mine was pretty ordinary as well.

Jeni said...

Mine wasn't much better, though to be honest it was my fault. He had planned out something much more grand but it all got ruined by my having an awful day and insisting on staying in with mexican food. He couldn't wait either so he ended up going in to his room for the ring and I followed dumbly only to almost trip over him as he turned around and got on one knee and asked me. I was already crying from my bad day, that just put me over the edge. Sometimes it doesn't have to be "perfect".

Related Posts with Thumbnails