Tuesday, March 24, 2009

He wears his heart on his sleeve...

He held me so tightly this morning... Rather than a squeeze and a pat on the head, he let me hold him a bit longer and we rocked back and forth. I smoothed his hair back and was glad to see the tears from breakfast had dried...

"But you said Daddy would be awake for breakfasts!"

"I'm so sorry, baby. We're still working on the schedule. He misses you, too..."

His devastation was palpable. As are all of Evan's emotions. Like the rub-on tattoos he can't bear to part with, Evan wears his feelings right there for all the world to see. You would think that this level of high emotions would mean that he throws tantrums and screams. Well, he DOES do that, but only when he's angry. The trait that truly breaks my heart is his ability to hide in a corner and weep silently. Honestly, there have been parties and playdates when I have looked around and said "Where'd Evan go?" only to finally find him hiding under a blanket, hot tears soaking his pillow.

"Baby, what's wrong?!?" After repeatedly asking and hugging and asking quietly and hugging again, he will allow me a tiny piece of his version of the Worst Thing Ever, usually involving a friend slighting him or calling him a name.

"I felt like my heart was just breaking, Mama!"

And he does. He really does...

I'm telling you, he's got a future in something expressive. Be it writing or photography or the most sympathetic Dad in the world, I can picture Evan doing it well...
That, or a stand-up comic.

God. SEVEN. He will be 7 years old in just 8 days...
A random lady in an elevator actually gushed over him at this age
and called him a "beautiful creature"...
Creature? Um, like, something from the black lagoon?


Some numbers are harder for a mother to wrap her head around. Is 7 really that much older than 6? No. But it's soooo much older than I ever really imagined my Evie to ever be. That whole middle child dilemma rears its ugly head again...
Post a Comment
Related Posts with Thumbnails