Thursday, July 03, 2008

Everything you never wanted to know about me: Part 2

So, Kai asked how Patrick proposed. Heh.


I'd love to say that it was a truly romantic and sweet plan that he laid out and delivered. Shoot, I had always dreamed of that moment! The surprise! The tears that would flow...


Wellll.... I am in love with a man that can think up great surprises, but can't always keep the excitement to himself. To this day, he'll still ask me, "Do you want to know?"as we're walking out the door for an evening planned by him. :)


Basically, we knew we were going to get married. We had been together for over a year and living together for several months. We could both stand each other's bad habits and still enjoy our time together.
Apparently, Patrick had been paying for a ring for a few months. I do believe it was the Friday before Memorial Day Weekend and I was exhausted from work. Picture me passed out on our hideous black couch when Patrick nudged me.


"Wha?"


"Hey, look in my pocket."


"WHA? What for?"


"Just look in my pocket." big dopey grin all over his face...


So. I reached in his back pocket and there, in a box, was my beautiful engagement ring. He had just finished paying it off and couldn't wait another moment.


You know what? I don't think he even ever uttered the words "will you marry me?"!! I think it was just me grunting from deep sleep and then some tears of happiness. We then went to my parents' house to show it off and ended up having to tell his mom over the phone.


Anyway. That's my story. Wooo hooo... Not the huge (or even small) romantic gesture I'd always dreamed of. But it's still MINE. He told me that he had planned on having a proposal written on a big cookie cake and have it in the mall showcase window so we could stroll by it. THAT would have been fine. But he literally was broke from paying the ring off and couldn't wait till the next payday. As much as I would have loved a sweet surprise with roses or a message in a bottle or even him just on one knee in a restaurant, it's the end result that matters...


Right?


Right.... that's what I keep telling myself.

17 comments:

Karen said...

I love it! It's very unique to you guys and "hey look in my pocket" is MUCH better than the typical "will you marry me" that everyone else gets :-P

Tonya said...

I think that is an extremely cute story! I love that he couldn't wait :)

Gucci Mama said...

That is a fantastic engagement story...I love the "look in my pocket" and the fact that he couldn't wait one more second. Very sweet...

stephanie said...

"Look in my pocket" at least doesn't carry the ominous vibe that "I don't want to date you anymore" does. My man thought that was a funny way to say he'd rather be married to me; I had a small panic that he was breaking up in a fancy restaurant...

Thanks for visiting me :D

Beck said...

I don't think I ever had a formal proposal. I just went ahead and planned the wedding and luckily for me, he showed up. ROMANTIC!

Kristi said...

Very sweet! You look so cute in that photo.

OHmommy said...

He never even asked you? LOL. I think it is a VERY cute story. :)

Becky said...

I just got through the first half of my proposal story on my blog, but you know what? Yours is just as romantic. My mom, for example, said that my dad just asked her one night when they were laying on the couch if she wanted to get married.

I think it's just as romantic!
:) Becky
http://www.stinkylemsky.typepad.com/

Hannah said...

I think it's totally romantic - mostly because it's unique to you and it's YOURS. He was obviously so excited to propose that he couldn't possibly wait ... that shows he's a romantic!

P.S. you guys look so young & cute in that photo!

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

We WERE young. Gad, I was 20 when we got engaged and 21 when we married... 22 when first baby was born... :)

Not Just Any Jen said...

This is really a sweet engagement story! Mine was even less romantic, but that is my guy.

Cynthia said...

Wow...you guys were sooo young! How fabulous that you found a keeper:)

Lynsey said...

such a cute post! In one of those pics, you kinda look like Amanda Peet! Cool!

oliver rain said...

I don't think I got the "will you marry me?" either. It was, "here want to wear this home?". Cute engagement photo.

Karen said...

Lynsey is right....you DO look like Amanda Peet in that pic!

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

I have to google Amanda Peet, now...

Dawn said...

Awwww.... I love how you said he had a big dopey grin!! That made it wonderful!!

Thank you for coming by and reading mine!! =)

Related Posts with Thumbnails