Monday, November 10, 2008

Monday, Monday....

Evan slept in bed with us last night. He's a cuddler, which is his saving grace these days. I told Patrick that cuddling with him before bed is sometimes the only time during the day that he and I completely get along. Sad, right? I'm hoping it's just his age. Justin had a hard time around 6 years old (and 4 and 5 and 7, but I digress)...

ANYway, this morning, I actually woke up to his FACE instead of his feet, which is always a nice change... There is something so beautiful about a sleeping child. The peace and tranquility, yes. But also, it allows me the opportunity to gaze with abandon. I trace their eyebrows and jawline. Running my fingers through their locks, I am always amazed at the paradox: how young they still are, and how old they have grown...

Sigh... I also imagined the day where my boys won't think it cool to snuggle under our covers and be read to. When hormones change the way they view me. When the natural and completely expected divergence from childish things begins to wedge its way between us.

I know we are at the threshold. Justin is 9 1/2. He is at the end of single digits. The tiny pimples that occasionally peak through his curly mop are a beacon to me. They scream: He's your baby no longer!! Hold him close while you can!! (Ms. Sappypants is in the haaa-ouse...)

All right, all right. Enough wishy washy stuff. I am off to enjoy the day. Spend time with Corinne. Help her learn a few letters. Maybe wash a couple of socks, and remember to be thankful for all that I have.

14 comments:

Cant Hardly Wait said...

It's bittersweet, huh?

Although Big Pimpin is only 15 months old, it still seems like it was only 3 days ago when he was a squishy wrinkly new born.

Beck said...

We're at the threshhold, too! I realized with some shock this weekend that The Girl has the faint traces of the beginning of pimples. Yikes.

CaraBee said...

So sweet. I would never have guessed the depth of my love for my child. It is bottomless and all-encompassing. I don't want her to grow up. And yet, I am so excited to see what she becomes. To be proud of her accomplishments. Bittersweet, it is.

Kat said...

This is a good reminder for me being that my boys are driving me BONKERS lately. ;)

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this reminder - we need to cherish and treasure our babies, because they do grow SO quickly!

carrhop said...

so sweet! Love those snuggly times! You're so wise to treasure them up!

Blessings!

Cynthia said...

I wish my kiddos were cuddlers, seems they spend all their time squirming away from Mommy:(
Keep me posted on the in the city gathering:)

Anonymous said...

Oh my, I CAN wait for those days!

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

I treasure each cuddle from my 7 year old...I know they won't last. I am going to have to get a dog when my boys reach about age 10....

Anonymous said...

It really does fly by!

MichelleB said...

Aww it's a the sweetest time when they are still cuddlers!

Then night me and my hubby celebrated our 10th anniversary and he surprised me with a gorgeous diamond necklace from www.idonowidont.com and we danced all night.

When we got home our lil boy came to snuggle with us so it was a nice end to a long night!

the dragonfly said...

Aww, you made me get a little teary.

My baby is 17 months old, and he won't let me cuddle him unless he's sick. Go figure. He's too busy for him Mamma. *sigh*

Anonymous said...

Yeah, enjoy it now. Although, I must say, my son, now 14 is still very loving and affectionate to me. He's starting to develop into a young man yet, unlike my girls, always has time for a hug and a smile. I think you'll find your sons growing up much different than your daughter.

Gettysburg Mom said...

Lots of women with grown children have reminded me to enjoy this time... because while I feel like I may go crazy if one more child says, "Mom! Mom! Look at me! Mom!", it won't be too long before they don't want me to look at them.

I'm gonna go cuddle me some kids now.

Related Posts with Thumbnails