Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Even Obama picks his nose...

I was watching a news reporter this morning, commenting on Barack Obama's win (yay!). He was concerned with the deification of our new president. Points were made about supporters' belief that this man will save our economy, stop all wars and change the World, all while following through on every single change he hopes to accomplish.

To that reporter's concern, I say, Me Too!

Obama is still just one man. One man with a huge vision and support network, to be sure, but still, One Man. I hope, for all our sake's and his as well, that Americans can remember this fact. Especially when he makes a decision on a policy or situation that you can't understand. Just remember this one thing: he's a human being. And no human being is without flaws.


~~~~~

My sons, my husband and I stayed up a bit last night to watch the election on the news.

"I voted for Obama, Mommy!" "Me too!" they exclaimed. Apparently, their school did a mini-election and Mr. Obama won with about 212 to 38 votes. Not surprising in a Blue State, eh? The excitement they felt was... sweet. I remember the first time I really understood what a presidential election was about. I do believe I watched Reagan's election and thought it was cool that a man from Illinois who was an ACTOR was going to lead our nation.... ;) But this time, I watched my boys' faces and saw in them a curiosity about the political world. So we dove right into the discussions.

We discussed my sparse knowledge of Democratic beliefs and Republican beliefs. Of what people were hoping for when they chose each nominee at the polls. We discussed how "anyone" can become president in our nation. When I said this morning, how exciting it is that we have our first black president, Evan said, "No, Mommy! Abraham Lincoln was black."

Pause. Pause.

I corrected him, by saying that Lincoln was TALL, not black.

"Oooooh, yeah. That's right."

It's nice when our kids are truly, truly color-blind. It's also nice that our nation seems to be following suit.

17 comments:

Melisa Wells said...

Ditto to you, too! :)

Happy Day-After! :)

Anonymous said...

My kids' elementary school had a mock election, too, and Obama won by a landslide. Curious as to why my 1st grader voted for Obama, I asked him, "Did you vote for Obama just because Daddy and I voted for Obama, or did you have your own reasons?" He replied without hesitation, "Obama just looks like a nice man, and I don't like how old McCain looks."

Well then!

My kids were excited about the election and actually very disappointed I didn't wait to vote so they could go with me. I just wanted to make sure I cast my vote first thing in the morning so no unexpected "stuff" came up!

Anonymous said...

How true. Great point. He ain't the messiah. He puts on his pants like we do. But he has the moxie and the passion. He is in it for the right reasons.

MarĂ­a said...

One man - yes. And hopefully we can all come together and do it.

Type (little) a aka Michele said...

My daughter's school had an election yesterday. They voted for their favorite color. Alas, since blue is "for boys", she voted republican. :-)

Your kids are adorable! Lincoln was black. Love it. :-)

Lynsey said...

I'll just say that I am NOT smiling today, but it is what it is. He's made a lot of promises and I just hope that he delivers.

I remember the mock elections! I remember voting for Dukakis (sp?) and being so sad when he lost- even though I had no clue who the guy was or what he stood for. It's very sad that many adults still vote the same way.

Kristi said...

I think it's pretty incredible that our kids will grow up knowing that anyone, regardless of skin color, can become president. When you consider our nation's history, and how just 40-something years ago, there were seaprate buses, water fountains, etc. for African-Americans, this is a pretty incredible thing indeed. Yay for a new colorblind generation.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely BE-AUTIFUL post! I see you are raising very well balanced children! Kudo's to YOU

Kristin said...

My Kindergartener voted for Obama. His school chose Obama 68% Close race.

Melissa said...

I really am torn over this election. On one hand, it is an amazing thing to see how far we've come in the last 50 years. I loved his acceptance speech.
On the other hand, I'm a tad more conservative than he is :) But, it's not a time to be split. He is the president. No amount of fussing by anyone will change that. We accept it and move FORWARD!

Tonya said...

My kids did a mock election at their school but the winner was McCain by a huge landslide. I guess that one of the differences between public and private. I will still be your friend though even though we have different political views. Will you still be mine???

Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

He he. Funny how kids are influenced by all the talk around them. My son told me that he hoped Obama would win because he was for peace and that other guy liked war. Hmm. We aren't even American, but they have been talking about it a lot.

we are reilly said...

My daughter wanted to vote for her aunt "LoLo"....too bad she wasn't on the ballot!

Anonymous said...

Getting kids involved in the process is always a good thing.

The Bean ought to be at a point she can understand the whole shebang in 4 years.

Gettysburg Mom said...

Sigh. My son voted for McCain in the mock election. He was under the impression that Obama wanted longer school days and McCain wanted to save the environment. Clearly he hasn't been listening when I babble on about politics.

This was a nice post!

OHmommy said...

Great conversations with the kids. I can;t wait until mine are a little older where we can discuss thinks like this.

Cute mini election.

Guess who is going to be in that blue state this weekend?

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

I love Evan's comment! Those barriers are going...far too slowly but they are going!

Alleluia!

Related Posts with Thumbnails