Sunday, October 19, 2008

Sunday quickie

vol·un·teer (väl′ən tir) noun -

1. a person who chooses freely to do or offer to do something...

2. a person who chooses freely to enter into any transaction with no promise of compensation


Notice that nowhere in the definition of the word "volunteer" does it say payment is rendered? Or that people have the right to treat volunteers as though they are providing a service that has been paid for, thereby giving the person benefiting from the volunteer's efforts the "right" to get bitchy about any "inadequacy" in said services? Notice that?

Why is this difficult for some people to understand? Why, after my first weekend of doing actual Cub Scout stuff with my new den, do I feel both proud of myself and ready to quit?

Honestly. If someone is making you upset, or you don't agree with their choices, you have every reason to disagree. However, if that someone is a volunteer providing services for you or your child, you have every OBLIGATION to be respectful!

And, on that note, I step down from my soap box. Exhausted and frustrated, but not willing to throw in the towel.



Post a Comment
Related Posts with Thumbnails