Saturday, October 25, 2008

My Own Personal "Cake Wrecks"

Have you read this site? Gotta love it. Professional cakes that are less than, um, professional. At least MY cakes were made with love and verrrrrry little money!!

And so, without any further ado, My baking skills and their growth, demise, and rebirth, throughout a decade...

Ahhh... Justin's first birthday. I was a bit more neurotic back then and the cake was Carrot. Yes. I gave my poor baby CARROT cake on his birthday. The best part, though? He was very particular (go figure!) and only ate 1 or 2 bites of cake while he very methodically chopped up the rest with a spoon (because a fork? He could hurt himself!!)
Boo Boo is 2! And I decided that my cake skilz needed to be proven. Here we see how I cut, frosted and decorated a gorgeous choo choo. And I discovered that frosting cut cakes SUCKS. Never again, I swore...



WHAT is up with my scanner here? Can't get the picture full size... Doesn't matter because I DIDN'T MAKE THIS ONE!! HA!! I was 8 months pregnant. Did you really think I wanted to make yet another train cake? I don't think so. Doesn't matter, anyway, because Justin hated the birthday song. Cried and screamed till we stopped. Also? He didn't want to open his presents... Good times..

"I want a rocket cake, Mommy!" To which I said NO WAY am I cutting that. And drew, with my awesome artistic skills, the lovely rocket you see before you. I also learned by now to have extra sprinkles and candies for the kids who didn't get them on their piece of cake...
Ahhh... the volcano phase. Because of this phase of Justin's, I now know more about the Earth's plates and movements than I ever planned. Also? 1 can of chocolate frosting is not enough when making a volcano cake. Have extra on hand...


Here you see my abilities to pilfer through their toys before decorating a cake. A-ha! Tiny Spongebob toys from a board game!! Perfect!! (And Yes, Steph. I DID wash them before putting them on the cake...)
Lovely. What a happy birthday boy! His demeanor has nothing to do with the fact that his mom only made boring cupcakes (that he decorated) and a simple chocolate cake. The End. In fact, the reason the cakes were so dull was that he, at this point, hated cake and wanted nothing to do with the whole process...

And HERE we have evidence of what happens when you tell your husband to please "handle the cake stuff" while you're in the other room, cleaning the wrapping paper up. You will come into the room to find the cake half cut without a song being sung. Your son will get his birthday candle on half of an angel food cake...
Evan's 2nd cake. (not quite sure where the first birthday cake picture is...) Awwwww..... He loved balls of all kinds and his first word became his 2nd cake...
"I want a train cake like Justin had, Mommy!" Yeah. NO. How about a "Candyland" cake, eh? He loved it. That's all that matters....
The fish cake, which is all about how many tiny ball candies we could stick on it....
The worm cake, ala Max and Ruby. DELICIOUS. I even put banana filling inside.
Ahem. Corinne's first birthday cake... It's a cat. In case it wasn't evident.... (hiding under my desk...)
Here is what happens when you trust your third grader to take the picture of the birthday cake for you. Anyway, she wanted Minnie Mouse. Here's Minnie. Ta-da.... She was happy, though!



And today's cake: Tinkerbell! She is thrilled with the flowers and vines. And Tink is actually a new toy that she gets to keep when we're done eating. 2 birds with 1 stone and all, right?

So, I showed you mine. You show me yours. ;)
Post a Comment
Related Posts with Thumbnails