Thursday, October 30, 2008

Halloween Eve...

Halloween, 1985. Adorable, right? That huge wooden chest behind me is a RECORD PLAYER ... My parents still have it in their basement!


Ahhh, Halloween. Such fond memories I have because of you, dear holiday.

Wandering street after street with friends, lugging buckets of goodies that became as heavy as bricks and yet? We continued on, afraid to go home and lessen our load, lest our Moms proclaim that enough was enough, and to stay in for the night. Many a years, we were the last kids to ring doorbells. Exclamations of "Wow, it's getting late!" and "Here, here's the last of it. I don't think anyone else will be coming..." were not uncommon.

And to this I say, WOW. Our parents really trusted us! I mean, yeah, yeah. There were the same dangers back then as now, but mainly? They had to trust that we, as 10 year old kids, wouldn't get into stuff on purpose. I was never an egger, t-p-er, or prankster of any sort. It was ALL about the candy. Oh, and making sure to get to that one house that passed out full cans of pop and a full-sized Snickers bar... Good times...

This year will be like many recent Halloweens. An afternoon Halloween parade at school. An early dinner of something that is NOT sweet. While awaiting Daddy's arrival, the kids will fight over who gets to pass out the candy to early-birds and the very young trick-or-treaters. When Daddy gets home, we will all travel around a block or two and collect goodies. Then I will return home with Corinne (who will not scream at the unfair indignity of this early curfew, oh please, oh please...) so that we can pass out candy to others. Patrick and his friend, along with our combined 4 older children, will walk and walk and walk, hitting the award-winning Halloween decorated houses as part of their new tradition. They will return later than I had thought, with bags dragging on the ground. Costumes will be filthy and faces will be sticky from early perusals into their loot. Bags and bags of sugary goodness will be dumped on my carpet and the trading and sorting will continue until all are satisified...

Can you feel me smiling in anticipation?
Halloween, 1987. My younger sister and I...A gypsy and a clown. Oy.
And my hair is the result of an 10 year old begging to chop off her long lovely hair for a short hairdo like everyone else. No one thought about the mass quantities that is my hair and how a short short do might not be the best choice...

7 comments:

Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

Great photos! so very cute. I did that to my hair too. I hope you guys have an amazing halloween.

anymommy said...

Aw, I loved the photos. My lil'ones still love passing out the candy. But, I might have to let them stay up past 6:30!

Tonya said...

great pictures! My parents had a record player like that for a very long time. It got water damage in their basement a few years ago and had to be thrown out. Have fun trick or treating tonight with the kids!!!

Gettysburg Mom said...

When I was a kid, I once got into the candy before Halloween. As a penalty, I had to share my Halloween loot with my two older brothers- an even three way split. Perhaps my Mom didn't think it through, but she then sent me out trick or treating- with my brothers as chaperones! They kept pushing me to go to just another house, long into the night. It was late fall in Upstate New York, and I was oh so cold. Good times. Corinne's going to have some good memories of those big brothers when she grows up. Did I tell you about the time my brothers replaced all of the gifts in my Christmas stocking with bags of ashes? Good times.

Happy Halloween!

Anonymous said...

Nice post, great memories. I remember much of the same. I remember those BIG giant candy bars that some houses passed out...it was like hitting the lottery!

And the same thing about not wanting to come home and unload for fear we'd be told 'you've got enough'! LOL, OMG that is hysterical!

Thanks for bringing back some nice memories!

pita-woman said...

It's amazing how record players way back when, were the size of todays Smart cars, and now we listen to music on a gadget the size of a credit card.
Halloween when we were kids... the good ol' days.

Naveen Chatra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Related Posts with Thumbnails