Monday, September 22, 2008

ONLY I could become paralyzed from taking a nap!

Here's something scary:

My left hand? Yeah, it's not working. Seriously, I cannot move my left hand fingers properly. To the point that I am typing this one-handed...

Can you get permament nerve damage from pinching a nerve while sleeping? Because I fell asleep for 10 minutes or so next to Corinne's bed at naptime. I tried to get up, but my right leg and left arm were totally useless. I fell repeatedly (ever lose use of one leg and the opposite arm? You cannot catch yourself!) until my leg recovered. I was able to get my arm moving normally, but my fingers just haven't come back!! 5 HOURS LATER!!

Is there a palsy that can afflict you like this? I have partial use of my fingers, but I cannot lift them higher than a curled position... My thumb and pointer are almost recovered but the other three are limp and useless...

Freakin the hell out over here. OF COURSE Patrick is out of town! Par for the course.

So, though I am reading your blogs, any comments I leave are a labor of love. Know that I am sending comments via telepathy, and hope that my fingers are normal tomorrow...

16 comments:

Vodka Mom said...

yikes. never had that happen. Except after too many martinis.

Karen said...

Oh my! Uber impressed though that you typed all this out for us!

Feel better soon!!

Sarah said...

i find that a little alarming. not that you probably aren't alarmed already. but yowzers. i'd be googling like a madwoman.

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

I'm sorry! I've had that happen before. It took a couple hours before my hand seemed normal again. And yes, it is possible to pinch a nerve like that & have it take a few days for it to get back to normal. My husband had that happen too, but it was his whole arm. The recovery time depends on how much of the nerve was pinched so I bet yours will be good as new pretty soon. I'm surprised this doesn't happen to moms more often considering all the crazy positions we end up in, especially at nap/bedtimes.

the mama bird diaries said...

That sounds scary. Go to a doctor just to confirm everything is fine.

And everything is fine.

Anonymous said...

Hope that clears up soon! I'd be a bit concerned myself!

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

I like Kelli's answer best.

It is the AM, and my two smallest digits are not able to type yet...

Tonya said...

Oh man that totally stinks. I hope that you regain the feeling and use of those fingers soon.

Kat said...

If it hasn't gone away after a solid nights rest I would go to a doc. Just in case. ;)

Melissa said...

Yeah... I'm thinking that if you still don't have movement in your hand by today, you should probably call your doc!!

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Melissa and Kathryn, I DON'T like your answers. Phhhbbbttt!

Gal on the Go said...

I have to tell you I had the same problem a number of years back. I had no use or feeling in my pinkie and ring fingers. Several doctors later a neurologist determined that somehow I had a pinched nerve in my elbow. And that was what was causing it. The good news is that now it's back to normal, but it took quite a while. Apparently pinched nerves heal at a rate of an inch a month (that's what he told me). Definitely get it checked out for your own piece of mind. Hope everything goes OK. Keep me posted!

Kristi said...

That doesn't sound good. Have you given your doctor a call? I'm sure it's nothing, but it's probably not a bad idea.

CaraBee said...

Wow, freaky. I'm a day late, so I hope it's better by now!

Michelle said...

how strange! I hope your hand is ok now!

Sara said...

Well, I hope your hand is feeling better, but MAN! I've had parts of my body fall asleep.. that I didn't even know I had! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails