Saturday, July 12, 2008

Riddle me this and Analyze that...

What exactly does it mean when you have a very detailed dream in which you say to your family,

"See you later. I'm going backpacking across the States and I don't know when I'll be home."

And then, your dream continues on with you actually having the time of your life, with no worries and just a backpack. And then, you wake up at 3 am and, instead of going back to sleep, you continue thinking about how that dream could become a reality, including when would be a feasible time to abandon them so that no one's school schedules got screwed up... ;)

Or, how about the dream I had last night? This dream included me and Patrick on a deserted beach. We were definitely stranded, but strangely content. I'm not sure if the children were with us, but from the delighted and free natures of our, ahem, behaviors, I'm gonna have to guess that they were Not.

You don't have to be an analyst to realize that SOMEbody needs a little alone time from her children, eh?

They actually aren't driving me crazy or anything. In fact, we've been getting along fine and having fun (I'd upload a great picture from the pool if I wasn't worried about ruining my hubby's laptop). It's just that Patrick literally hasn't been around much lately and it takes its toll on my stores of sanity. Add that to the loss of my ONE escape (the internet) and you get a woman (gal?) with itchy feet. Itchy feet that need to escape!

I guess one good thing that came from the lessened amount of Net usage was that I finally met our neighbor behind us! That may sound unusual, but in the 2 years of their residence here, never have we exchanged more than a nod or slight smile. I know that some of you will raise your hands and exclaim that you don't know most of your neighbors (sad... FIX that!! Go bring them some brownies!) but I never felt as though I could approach them. They are very private, very old-fashioned Muslim. They are rarely outside, but have been doing some yardwork lately. I was watching Corinne swing and shriek with delight last night (truly, the joy that this girl feels on the swings could make the Grinch grin) and raised my hand to wave to the elderly man as he watered a new planting. I headed inside to throw some chicken into the microwave (don't judge) and noticed him walking to the fenceline and smiling with Corinne. Scuttling down to our side of the fence, I smiled and said hello. With a slight bow of his head, he held out his hands and I noticed his offering. 3 oranges. Pleasantly surprised, I thanked him and offered my name. In a stilted exchange, I managed to mangle his own name several times before apologizing with a smile. As we returned to our homes, I felt a simple joy over finally making contact. Corinne continues to exclaim over how nice "dat man" was...

However. I am willing to forego any more "simple joys" to retain internet accessibility. (ok, ok. Just kidding - sort of.)

8 comments:

Dana said...

That's awesome that you finally met him.

Also, I can feel ya on the whole being alone thing. I often feel like a single mom. Nevermind the fact that we've been married for 13 years.....He works until at least 8:30 or 9 EVERY day. Well...except Sundays. On Sundays he's home and grumpy with us all because he's tired. Good luck. I hope you get some Hubby time soon!

Dana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Is it sad that my husband and I were plotting our own romantic getaway while on vacation with our kids?? Family time is great, but you have to have alone time with your spouse, as well. And a little alone time for yourself isn't half bad either!!

And don't feel bad about the neighbor thing. We've lived here six years and barely know our neighbors. Okay . . . well, we've a highway to separate us, but still . . .

Beth - Total Mom Haircut said...

Interesting...this actually reminds me of what I dreamt last night...I was in Bermuda being wooed by all my old boyfriends, and considering each one... That can't be good:)

Beth
http://www.totalmomhaircut.com/

Tonya said...

I've had vivid dreams before but usually only when I am pregnant! You did say that being around Peanut was not good ;) Just kidding. You should check out my pictures I just posted on my blog...I'm crazy!

Beck said...

I love that story about meeting your neighbour!
Unfortunately, our next door neighbours are HEINOUS. They like playing country music LOUD. At two in the morning. While driving dirt bikes. On our lawn.

Laski said...

You aren't going to blog about what you DID on the island? Yeah, probably more suited for ANOTHER type of blog.

Awesome that you met your neighbor. I'm hoping that the ice cream social will work with mine!

Mojavi said...

next year I am going to the beach for two weeks... I need a vacation too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails