Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A dirty word

One thing I'm hoping is happening on this vacation is that my children have forgotten how to say one simple phrase:

"I'm Bored."

Even my 2 year old can say it, thanks to her older brothers' excessive use of it!! It's a foul, foul phrase. And nothing drives me up the wall faster than a child with ample choices, 2 siblings, and 7 neighborhood friends within shouting distance who STILL insists that there is "nothing" to do!!!

Nothing? NOTHING?!? I'll tell you what, kiddo. YOU do the dishes! You wash the laundry, sweep the floor, referee 32 sibling fights, find the certain Star Wars Lego guy, put away piles and piles of clothing, clean the cat box, pull the weeds (well, actually, I don't even do that...), and the 74,886,090 things I have to do in one day and I'LL play with your toys. Trust me: I will NOT be bored. I will build a Lego city, make a fort, draw some pictures, and read a favorite book. I will sit outside and talk to my friends, ride my bike and play in the sprinkler. If you truly ARE bored, I can remedy it for you with ease!

14 comments:

Mike said...

Whenever my 5-year old and 2-year old say they have nothing to do, I tell them to count their hair.

"That's not fair," they say.

"Why?" I ask.

"If you're bored," my 5-year old would way, "you have not hair to count."


Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/


Looking for photo ideas? Please visit 12 Photo Ideas To Try This Summer

Hannah said...

AMEN TO THAT!!!

I say similar things to my boys. Not sure if they "get it". Will they ever?!!

Gettysburg Mom said...

I'm a cold, heartless woman who will tell the 8 and 4 year old that it's really not my problem. Perhaps they have confused me with the tour director?

Beck said...

Hee hee. You sound like my mom.
My kids are reasonably good at keeping themselves occupied, what with their ability to create huge messes and handy siblings to fight with.

Sheryl said...

AMEN SISTER!

Beth said...

My dad always said that "Only boring people get bored."

I agree.. they are bored.. there must be a chore to do! lol

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

You said it! I get, "there's nothing to do" over here. My response? I guess all those toys need to go to goodwill.

that puts an end to that whining in a hurry!

Jane of Seagull Fountain said...

Another dirty word: "I can't."

My dad used to always tell us that "can't" is a bad word, but I never got it until I was a mom.

Put on your shoes. I can't
Play a game. I can't
Read a book. I can't

Anna-b-bonkers said...

Ha, ha, you said it!!!
I must remember to keep a list of things in mind.
I don't have this issue quite yet with my kids but my younger sister (she is 9) is bored ever 3 minutes. When she is over she sits there....."I'm bored, I'm bored...."

Melissa said...

I knew a lady who had an "I'm Bored" chart. As soon as those words escaped a child's mouth they had no choice but to pick something from the chart... things like wiping down cupboards, mopping the floor, cleaning the toilet... she said that they entertained themselves a lot better after just a few chores :)

Kristi said...

Ha! My daughter hasn't gotten to this stage yet, but I can only imagine that it's coming soon. Perhaps school should be year-round after all!

Becky said...

I remember saying "i'm bored" SO many times as a child. My mom always responded with a list of chores... that kept me quiet.
:) Becky

LaughterThoughts said...

My kids know if they say those horrible words that Moma will quickly find something for them to do... and it will involve cleaning!:)

Gucci Mama said...

Well said! I would gladly sit and play trucks if I could somehow train Joshua to vacuum my drapes and clean the grout of my bathroom tile...

Related Posts with Thumbnails