Monday, June 09, 2008

Let the sun shine and the toddler sleep...

Monday morning. The sky is overcast. The air is echoing with the alternating sounds of maniacal laughter from Evan and Corinne (they're playing a game called "Beast" which involves many blankets, pillows and stuffed dogs.) which then changes to hysterical crying over pain and agony and blaming each other for the suffering. There is also the background music from Justin's Nintendo DS Pokemon game. I can't even guess which game, as he has about 6 or 7. All I know is that the music is endless and I'm starting to twitch...

Which brings us to the reason of my reflection. The calm (HA) before the storm of activity that is our upcoming week: DAY CAMP.

Yes, my friends. A week of archery, bb guns, crafts of feathers and glue, and strange games played with frisbees and bases. A week where, usually, Justin is gone and I have the other 2 kids, but, because I didn't get the proper paperwork before payment was rendered, that I will be ATTENDING Day camp the entire time with Evan. (Apparently, though he is old enough for camp, his age group must have an adult present the entire time for each child. Had I known this prior to pumping his little heart up with exciting tales of Camp, I wouldn't have signed him up.) This means that Corinne will be farmed out for the week. Since everyone either works or has other children, I had to find 4 different people to take care of her. She will be at my Mom's house late tonight and through the day tomorrow. My sister's house overnight on Tuesday and all day on Wednesday. I will pick her up on Wed evening (FINALLY) for a little at home time. My neighbor will watch her Thursday and then on Thursday night, she will go to Grandma's so that they can spend the day together on Friday.


Holy. Crap.

My poor baby! She has never been to day care EVER and now she has to spend a week away from home at a whole slew of places and I can't even REALLY prepare her. She knows everyone she's going to visit, and we've talked about it, but... man. I feel bad. I'm an "at-home" mom cuz I want to be with the kids, you know?


However, Evan will really enjoy this week, and I will get more alone time with him this week than I've had in a LONG time, so I am crossing my fingers that she adjusts well and has a good time without missing too many naps...


Sadly, this will mean that I won't be on here too much. Especially since Patrick is going to be out of town Tuesday - Thursday, and we still have soccer practice (if I can swing it) and a soccer party on Weds (if we can make it back in time). Hope your week is lovely and full of good things, and I will hopefully be able to post a thrilling recap of our (mis)adventures at camp. Oh! The blogging material possibilities!! I should bring a pad of paper and pencil for the bloggable moments that will arise...



Please let her sleep this soundly while she's away from home...

16 comments:

Gucci Mama said...

What a beautiful girl! I am a stay at home mom too, and I never had anyone watch him other than my mom. Until she was busy, and I had a nail appointment. Earth shattering, I know. So I panicked about taking him to the drop in day care, but figured he could use the interaction with other kids. He's an only child. When we got there, he scrambled out of my arms and dove into the toys so fast I didn't know what hit me. So then the sadness went from "I'm abandoning my baby...aaahhh!" to "My baby doesn't need me...waaahh!" Perhaps I'm a little more dramatic than need be. Anyway, hopefully it won't be as traumatic as you think, for either of you. Oh, and have a ball at day camp ;)

Gucci Mama said...

I love it when I don't proof read myself. Ugh. Although it is obvious that the "him" I refer to in my first sentence is my son, I feel it necessary to prove that I am not such a bad writer as to leave that non sequiter unaddressed....

Karen said...

Her outfit is TOO CUTE!!!!

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Thanks, Kai. It's a dance dress from a friend's daughter. She was Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz. It is AWESOME as it twirls out completely and she adores it.

Lynsey said...

She looks so peaceful! Treasure that photo always...
Very cute post! I hope you don't mind that I added your bloglink to my page. I love your blog, it's so creative!
Lynsey

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Lynsey -

pshaw. EVERY blogger wants to hear that she/he's been linked to. THAT'S part of why we blog publicly!

Thanks. I appreciate the compliment. :)

Mrs. G. said...

Sweet dreams to your sweetheart.

Tonya said...

Oh Tracey! I hate when that happens but I'm sure she will survive. The joys of summer and summer activities! I am thinking maybe sometime next week for a get together?! We'll talk.

Unknown said...

Wow! And I thought MY week was going to be a busy one!!

I can understand how you're anxious, but I am certain everyone will emerge on the other side having had TONS of fun!!

Beck said...

Poor little bunny! But she'll be fine - even if she is a bit sad, although she'll probably be too busy getting doted on to be sad.

Kristi said...

Awww... I would feel the same way as you do, but I have a feeling she's going to thrive on the excitement. She will miss you, to be sure, but think about the stories you can tell eachother when you reunite.

Adorable pic too, btw.

Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

Talk about small print! I am sure she will be clingy at night, but fine. Have fun with your boy.
(oh, I so hate that pokemon music, my boys love those games and in the car I make them turn off the volume-it is enough to make you batty!)

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Just dropped her off... she waved me off and said "I want to cuddle wif Nana, now." Well. Bye... Miss you...


My house feels empty, though there are 3 boys in it.

My mind seems as though it's forgetting something, and then I realize: Her. I am missing Her.

It's gonna be a long week...

Cynthia said...

Wow, good luck with the week. You are going to be busy...I can relate:)

Melissa said...

We aren't doing day camp this year. It's over an hour and a half away... we just don't have the money to drive up and back each day for a week! Gas hit $4.54 here...

Alex Elliot said...

I'm impressed that you're attending camp! Wow!

Related Posts with Thumbnails