Sunday, June 08, 2008

In which I remember that I am NOT 13 years old...

You know, blogging and reading blogs is definitely a way to curb any pity parties. Just when you let the PMS and broken air conditioner (on a HUMID 86 degree day) get you down... Just when you start to feel all "woe is me!" because your husband is at a Sox game and your kids are in Chicago for the day with Grandma and you're all alone in a sticky house... You read a post about real tragedies. You read a post where life isn't focused on the petty and insignificant.

It's unsettling to me, how quickly I let my grumpiness get ahold of me. I make a point to remind myself and everyone around me that life, in itself, is a fleeting gift. You have to enjoy what you have, when you have it, for it may not be here tomorrow.... Today's weepy display over a broken air conditioner is downright adolescent behavior and I'm not proud of it.

Still. I guess being able to acknowledge my faults and attempt to alter them is a positive asset, right?

ANYway. Since I can't drink my required caffeine at home (the temp just went up 2 degrees in my house as I typed this) I do believe that I will shower and change and head to the lovely air conditioning at the mall. I haven't been shopping in ages. Not that I really WANT to go shopping, mind you. Just that I need to be proactive and get OUT of here.

Hmmm. Maybe a matinee? I wonder what's playing at the theater.... I haven't ever been to a movie by myself. EVER. I'm thinking it's a requirement of being an independent adult...

Let's see if I have the cahones.

I have another post at Chicago Moms Blog, explaining a bit more of the reasons behind my melancholy... If you're interested, you can read it here.

8 comments:

justme said...

isn't it amazing how we long for time alone and nothing to do and then we get it and we can not figure out how to deal with life alone. thanks for the comment !! on the nj story. i forgot to add that my pregnancies were easily conceived as well, my pregnancy not so easy in beginning...morning sickness all day long for a good 6 months. after that i felt good. hope you cool off soon.

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Ok, I just got back from the mall. I realized that I really needed to buy Justin his tank tops and cotton shorts (for sleeping) and kept putting it off. So, off to the mall! SCORED big time with everything on sale (cuz, you know, Summer stuff must not be needed in another month or so, so let's clear the racks NOW.) He got 2 pairs of shorts and 5 tanks, Evan got a tank, and Corinne got 2 skirts with shorts underneath (such a girly girl) and coordinating shirts (all interchangeable!!)

I had to leave early and bring my Panera home to eat because the THUNDER and rain was horrendous and my WINDOWS WERE OPEN!! I am currently sitting in my wet clothes, digesting my lovely soup and sandwich and my woodwork is appearing to be drying well.

:)

Hannah said...

So, did you do the solo movie thing?? I've done it a few times and it actually is quite empowering. Knowing that you CAN go alone and feeling quite okay about it while you're there ... well, it's pretty refreshing!

If you didn't see a movie I hope you enjoyed shopping!

Gettysburg Mom said...

Iced Coffee. Iced Coffee at a movie. If you leave early for the movie and bring a book with you- you get to read a bit without anyone asking you for something. It's good.

Cynthia said...

Dying to know what movie you picked:)

Cynthia said...

Oops, I just read your update comment...sounds like no movie. Love Panera:)

Kristi Harrison said...

So I just spent 20 minutes reading the blog you linked to...thank you. I needed some perspective. I hope your week goes great. :)

Laski said...

I have been to a movie by myself . . . many times. The first time I was in high school. I pretended I had to go to review it for my school paper. I lied . . . I was such a dork.

I hope the week starts looking brighter.

I'll tell you this, most people are not as thoughtful as you are in terms of putting their moods into perspective (I've failed at this plenty of times). It is a great accomplishment when you can look beyond yourself even if you do indeed need a little R & R and TLC!

Related Posts with Thumbnails