Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Captain's log: day 1

It's gonna be a loooongggg week...

Man, we had fun! Evan got to shoot a bow and arrow!! "Just like a Knight, Mommy!" And he actually hit the target 2 times when the instructor helped him. When I helped, well... the grass. BUT, it flew straight.

We got a bite on our fishing line, though nothing to show for our "work" (read, sitting in the sunshine, hoping that one or two fish will take pity on the 20 worms dangling in the WRONG spots for fish to eat...). Evan felt sorry for the poor worm that got torn in half (long night-crawler), poked in 2 spots, thrown into the water to drown slowly, and then bitten by a fish and yet STILL managed to wriggle and squirm, so he found a good, shady muddy area for the worm to "heal." Or be bird food. Whichever. Whole circle of life thing, eh?

By some strange planning, our group did FOUR of the six crafts scheduled for the week, in just one day! But, they were fun and our group managed it well. We are now the proud owners of a pirate ship, catapult, "friendship" stick (don't ask, cuz I don't know...) and a wooden octopus. Evan was so focused and creative! His colors were all over the place, but so typically HIM, that I could pick them out of the pile, no problem.

I had to giggle when the art lady came by and said "No! No! No! That's not how the friendship sticks are supposed to look!! You're supposed to paint them with the colors like THIS!!" and then showed us a diagram we were "supposed" to follow. I know she meant well, but seriously? This is ART. Art is subjective and you can only provide the materials and a few basic plans for kids. Then, let them at it! WHO CARES how their sticks were painted and decorated?? Isn't the point that they're all different??

We do have a downer parent in our group. I hope that her attitude turns around this week, and that today was just an off day, but man. I'm not counting my chickens on it...

Her son reminded me a bit of Justin at 6 years old. Sensitive, easy to upset, and once upset, very upset. Her reaction? Sigh... Hopefully I wasn't THAT bad. Hopefully I didn't call Justin a baby in front of his peers. Or roll my eyes and sigh and groan at his attempts to glue the extremely complicated pirate ship together. Or take his pirate ship away from him and just do it myself. Because that's not the point of camp. The point is trying new things. Succeeding and failing. Gluing the pirate sails on upside down because you like it better that way. You know? I truly hope I never did any of that.... Because the sadness I saw on that little boy's face, and the angst in his eyes was heartbreaking.

Speaking of heartbreaking, my heart isn't doing too well without my Corinne...I was fine at camp, mostly. But last night, this morning, and right now? I'm struggling to not call my parents' house AGAIN and see if she's up from her nap yet. To talk to her and hear her squeaky voice tell me about the petting zoo and spending the day alone with her Nana...

I miss my baby....

Added to that, my husband is out of town until Thursday.... I am feeling completely out of sorts. Too many missing appendages. Too many loved ones in different places, and I'm all antsy and fidgety.

Sigh. I have to cruise now as the laundry isn't going to wash itself nor will the hash browns and eggs get made without my able hands.

Stay tuned for cute stories such as: "Who knew you could get hurt doing _____?" and "Yet ANOTHER use for frisbees!"

12 comments:

Tonya said...

Glad you had a fun day with Evan! Having two family members gone must be hard. I feel weird going to the store alone. Hope the rest of your week is good.

Hannah said...

Oh my goodness, I can't believe that "art teacher"!! Geez, these are kids, and yes art is supposed to be subjective (although my secondary school art teacher used to tell me the same thing, and never let me be "me" so perhaps it's not as subjective as it should be ...)

My eldest son is a sensitive type, and I cannot imagine behaving the way that mother did! Surely she has figured out by now that doing/saying those things makes it all WORSE? Or perhaps she's a slow learner?

Glad you are having fun time with your boys ... I know you must miss your baby girl, and your hubby, but at least you're keeping busy eh?

Jane of Seagull Fountain said...

Sounds like a fun day!

My kids (and often husband) drive me ABSOLUTELY. CRAZY. Until they're out of sight, and then I can't completely relax until they're back within annoying-distance.

Good luck with the downer parent. It's so easy for me to see what I do wrong, whenever I see other parents doing the same (only WORSE, and MEANER, of course).

Laski said...

Oh, I so understand that scattered feeling . . . not much longer!

And I am so with you on the friendship stick! Who cares! It is ART. Have fun!!!

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Oh what a bummer downer parents are! Sheesh!

And I've tagged you today!

Steph

Kristi said...

It must be nice to bond one-on-one with your son, but I can imagine how hard it is to miss Corinne and the hubby. And what is WITH the Art lady. My mom is an art teacher, and any decent art teacher will tell you it's all about self-expression, not necessarily following the rules. Geez, lady. Lighten up!

OHmommy said...

Sounds like a good time. I would miss my baby like crazy though. Hope your week goes great.

Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

Sounds like a pretty cool day at camp!
I totally understand how you must feel with all your peeps in different places. I am feeling out of sorts with just one of my kids gone. My eldest is spending his nights at an elderly relatives while her hubby is in the hospital and I can't sleep!
I hope the rest of your week is terrific.

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

Oh boy, that craft lady needs a lesson. Our craft teacher used to yell at us mom's for doing exactly that... put the paint brush down she would say to the Mom's....

:-)

My Jack is like that boy you describe and I think my reacaction is mostly what you describe...feeling like a heel now. But I appreciate your insight because now I see the impact it has. My point was to try to get him to chill but that's not who he is.

Thanks!

Don Mills Diva said...

That art teacher sounds a little crazy - I think she might be worthy of a whole blog...

Beck said...

She called him a BABY! Oh, I would totally have called her on that.

Lynsey said...

the worm thing cracked me up. such a cute post, and I know what you're talking about in reference to the upset kid. My older brother was one of those kids, still has that side to him too. Kinda sad!

Related Posts with Thumbnails