Thursday, May 29, 2008

131

There's nothing like deciding to go on a shopping spree for yourself to make you realize just how much weight you've put on...

I was all excited, too! I got a whole bunch of shorts and shirts in a variety of sizes, as I knew I'd put on some weight, and headed to the changing rooms (with Corinne in tow).

First mistake: try on shorts in smaller size first. Not a good idea. This will only make you freak out as you realize that the smaller size is WAY too small and will cause your heart to stop a bit. You will look at your butt and shudder a bit, but think "You KNEW you were a bit bigger this year. Stop freaking out. You will lose the weight by next summer, but you need clothing that will make you feel good this summer."

So, you will toss those undersized shorts in the corner so that Corinne will pick at their tags and comment on how teeny tiny they are for Mommy while you proceed onto the untried pile.

Luckily, the 2 other pairs of shorts (in the bigger size...) fit reasonably well. Your butt, well... it doesn't look as good as it used to, but you're reasonably sure that it looks okay and go onto the shirts.

The shirts. Aye... Again, you forget to try on the larger size first and freak out at how huge you look in the smaller size. Sighing, you try on the big shirts and think that they look fine, until you spy the back of your arms in the mirrors behind you (damn those multiple mirrors!!).

"Whose flabby arms are those?" you will wonder.

And then you will cry in the dressing room.

Big fat tears (of course), which you will wipe away as quickly as you can, so that your daughter doesn't pick up on your poor body image.

"Oooh! Mommy you wook pwetty!" she says as you stuff yourself into the worst horror of all:

The Bathing Suit from Hell.

Why? Why do I do this to myself? Why do I expect to look better in a bathing suit than I know is possible? Why, when my worst problem areas are my butt and thighs (and now, apparently, my upper arms..) do I expect a bathing suit to look ok on me?

So, I am now pissed at myself. I am mad that I am shocked... I am mad that I have let myself gain so much weight. I am mad that I am so freaking squishy and out of shape as my husband is getting increasingly thinner and more muscular by working out every freaking morning. I am furious with the excuses I have made about not working out. I am disgusted about every late night ice cream and s'more that I have allowed myself.

And so, I have whined and ranted here. I have unleashed my anger and disgust at myself online so that my kids won't be witness to (as much of) me complaining about how I look.

I will not look good this summer. It's too late. But I will look good by NEXT SUMMER. By next summer I will be the weight on my driver's license...

Damn straight.

131 lbs. on May 29, 2008...

13 comments:

Jane of Seagull Fountain said...

So -- is 131 what you weigh now? That you are upset about weighing? Bcause, if so, I think I hate you.

In other news, Planet Nomad had a rant against vanity sizing the other day, and it just made me want to cry. I HEART vanity sizing. Please tell me I am a 10. Please. Please.

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Jane, and anyone else who may think my # is fine, I don't mean to offend. But everyone's body weight and shape is different, and for my tiny frame, 131 is about 15 pounds too much, with about 25 of it being smushy flab. And, coming from a family where my mom has always been a size FOUR, I feel enormous at the size I am, right now. I know that the size I am is normal and fine, but I also know that the condition I am in is NOT healthy. If I remain a size 8 and 131 pounds but can become much more fit, that would be fine. I just don't want to be squishy anymore...

Hannah said...

Wow, I thought 131 was your goal! But I've read your explanation, and I understand (sort of. I would KILL to be 131. But I know you want to feel happy in your own skin, and that's okay.)

I feel like you described every time I go shopping. You hit the nail on the head when you said you were mad that you were shocked - that is exactly how I feel!!

Kristi said...

I firmly believe that all clothes on the racks right now are designed for 18 year old girls. I think that no matter what the scale says, you look fantastic.

Alex Elliot said...

I have to agree with Kristi!

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

We have all been there Tracey, bathing suits should be outlawed.

Hang in there, you will get back to a place that you are happy with. When this happened to me I got even with my body and began kicking it's behind. My behind is now smaller and I am much happier not to mention healthier.

:-)

LaughterThoughts said...

Precisely the reason I hate clothes shopping.

I always try to talk myself into thinking it's because the dressing room mirrors aren't hangins straight so they're more like fun-house mirrors, but I know better! Trying on clothes is a major reality check. I pretty much avoid the mirror at home, but it's hard to do that in those all-mirror dressing rooms!

Why is it that the clothes look so darn cute on the rack, but once you put 'em on your bod, they look so scary?!

Having beautiful babies does that to ya, I guess. That and not exercising! Ugh.

Jamie said...

Yeah, summer clothes can be brutal... I'm in the same boat with you right now!

Just go to a public beach on a nice day and look around, you'll probably feel a little bit better about the whole situation :)

Karen said...

I definitely hate you if you are 131 NOW! That's a DREAM weight for me!

:-P

Beth - Total Mom Haircut said...

Bad dressing room moments are truly awful. I'm sorry you felt badly enough that you had to cry. But you look great. And 131 is great, even though you feel it is too much for you. I think as long as you FEEL healthy that is what's important, so the fact that it all came a surprise means you are doing well because it's not like the weight is slowing you down.

Beth - Total Mom Haircut

Laski said...

I so get the squishy part--Oh, I do.

Michelle said...

Don't be so hard on yourself! Very few people look good in a bathing suit! I understand what you mean though...my weight is ok, but yeah the squishy part. I'm not toned or physically fit, and I need to work on that!

Gucci Mama said...

Oh, I have been in this movie. Who am I kidding? I'm starring in it now. Ah, to be the weight on my driver's license. I think if everyone in America weighs what they tell the DMV they do, we'd be much much fitter as a whole.

Related Posts with Thumbnails