Sunday, April 27, 2008

A thousand words....

A thousand wouldn't be enough to describe motherhood. Motherhood is, for me, basic but complex, wonderfully sweet and dreadfully dark. The highs and lows are so intense... There is a reason that all mothers tell moms-to-be that they simply won't understand it until they experience it!

A thousand words might not be enough to even describe this picture, alone. But I'll try, as 5 Minutes for Mom is hosting a Mother's Day photo contest.




After having 2 boys and then a surgery on my ovaries, I wasn't sure if we could ever have any more children, let alone the girl that we were blessed with. To say that I was thrilled and ecstatic is putting it mildly. But to say that Evan, my youngest then, was overjoyed isn't doing justice to his emotions, either. He was only 3, but so very, very accepting of the fact that there was a baby in my belly, and that he was her big brother. So understanding, in fact, that he had entire conversations with his sister, shared toys with her, sang her songs and even gave her raspberries (teasing before birth! Poor baby!). In fact, this picture looks as though it is capturing a tender moment between mother and son, which it is.... but, moments later? Just moments later, my stomach was soaking wet from a big juicy raspberry he gave his sister. To me, this picture and the photos following it are documenting the beginning of their relationship and of mine as a mom to 3 children...

12 comments:

Laski said...

Absolutely precious!

Kristen said...

I love the picture and ADORE your new blog header!

Gina said...

Such a sweet post! What a beautiful photo and the story behind it!

Beck said...

That's a gorgeous photo.

Melissa said...

What a wonderful picture :)
And I love your new header! So fun!!

Unknown said...

Oh I love this - so very sweet!

Kristi said...

Such a beautiful photo, and a great post as well. I hope my daughter is as excited about the prospect of being a "big sister" as Evan was about being a "big brother." I have my doubts, thought. ;)

PS: Love the new header!

Cindy Fey said...

What a beautiful picture. And you new banner is awesome too!

Unknown said...

Such a sweet post. :)

Great meeting you on Sunday!

Life With All Boys said...

That is a sweet picture!

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

How adorable and such a sweet tender moment topped by wonderful silliness:-)

Cheffie-Mom said...

How adorable!! This picture is GREAT! Sorry I have not been blogging lately! I have been taping shows. What was I thinking?? Hah! Maybe it is a good thing I wasn't thinking! If you get a minute, check it out. I'd love to hear what you think. I am inviting all my blog friends over for feedback. http://www.dishingwithdebbie.com Your stories are great and my whole idea behind this show is for other moms to share real stories like you do. Sponsors are donating neat prizes like chocolate baskets and mini-chef aprons and way cool cookery stuff. Anyway, I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails