Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Feminine does NOT equal anti-feminism

Ok. I have a gripe. Not a big one. No life-changing post or anything, just a bit of a shrug and sigh.


Here goes: What's the big deal with feminists not liking princesses? Hmm? I must say, most of the princesses I see on Disney and other shows are pretty righteous and ass-kicking women.


Ever watch Mulan? Dude, she saved CHINA.


How about Belle? A girl willing to sacrifice everything so that her father will live. (though, I don't particularly like the song about how she's "odd" because she likes to read, but that's minor, to me).


Ooh! Remember Jasmine and her brilliant ideas? Her desire to help those less fortunate? Hmm. Yeah. I can see why mothers would hate for their daughters to emulate these figures...


Listen. I understand the basis behind the "anti-Disney Princess" emotions. There are some of the older princesses, like Cinderella, Snow White, and Sleeping Beauty, that don't do much more than wait to be saved by a man. But remember the era that they were produced within, and it adds a bit of perspective to the storylines. Even still, Cinderella was kind and good. She was strong in the face of adversity, and actually ended up delivering herself from the situation she was stuck in, by keeping her glass slipper. Ok, ok. That one was stretching for it a bit, but you get my point, right? And really? Don't we all love romance, beautiful clothing and lovely music? Is it really THAT offensive that small girls must be banned from watching it? Can't we use it as a discussion starter, on how it's fun to imagine and pretend? To talk about the differences in people and how reality can differ from fiction?


I was personally a BIG Barbie doll girl. Loved them! Played all the time and made up incredible scenarios with my sisters and friends. We also played dress-up with my mom's old bridesmaid dresses from the 60's, complete with wide-brimmed hats and floor-length crinolin. And yet, SOMEhow, I managed to still grow to adulthood knowing that fancy dresses, handsome princes, and being "saved" isn't what being a strong woman was about. I am able to love girly-girl stuff. To allow a man to open the door for me or help me in a gentlemanly fashion without getting my undies in a bunch. I'm also liable to hold open that door for the next man to come through and not think anything of it.


How does letting your daughter wear a tiara and gown make you anti-equal rights? Personally? I just don't feel it.

Shhhh. They're sleeping...

Post a Comment
Related Posts with Thumbnails