Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Feminine does NOT equal anti-feminism

Ok. I have a gripe. Not a big one. No life-changing post or anything, just a bit of a shrug and sigh.


Here goes: What's the big deal with feminists not liking princesses? Hmm? I must say, most of the princesses I see on Disney and other shows are pretty righteous and ass-kicking women.


Ever watch Mulan? Dude, she saved CHINA.


How about Belle? A girl willing to sacrifice everything so that her father will live. (though, I don't particularly like the song about how she's "odd" because she likes to read, but that's minor, to me).


Ooh! Remember Jasmine and her brilliant ideas? Her desire to help those less fortunate? Hmm. Yeah. I can see why mothers would hate for their daughters to emulate these figures...


Listen. I understand the basis behind the "anti-Disney Princess" emotions. There are some of the older princesses, like Cinderella, Snow White, and Sleeping Beauty, that don't do much more than wait to be saved by a man. But remember the era that they were produced within, and it adds a bit of perspective to the storylines. Even still, Cinderella was kind and good. She was strong in the face of adversity, and actually ended up delivering herself from the situation she was stuck in, by keeping her glass slipper. Ok, ok. That one was stretching for it a bit, but you get my point, right? And really? Don't we all love romance, beautiful clothing and lovely music? Is it really THAT offensive that small girls must be banned from watching it? Can't we use it as a discussion starter, on how it's fun to imagine and pretend? To talk about the differences in people and how reality can differ from fiction?


I was personally a BIG Barbie doll girl. Loved them! Played all the time and made up incredible scenarios with my sisters and friends. We also played dress-up with my mom's old bridesmaid dresses from the 60's, complete with wide-brimmed hats and floor-length crinolin. And yet, SOMEhow, I managed to still grow to adulthood knowing that fancy dresses, handsome princes, and being "saved" isn't what being a strong woman was about. I am able to love girly-girl stuff. To allow a man to open the door for me or help me in a gentlemanly fashion without getting my undies in a bunch. I'm also liable to hold open that door for the next man to come through and not think anything of it.


How does letting your daughter wear a tiara and gown make you anti-equal rights? Personally? I just don't feel it.

Shhhh. They're sleeping...

11 comments:

Karen said...

Well my personal issue isn't with the Disney princesses, but in the marketing of the Disney princesses. The "kick ass" part is glossed over and the damsel in distress/needs a man aspect is emphasized.

I'm with you though, girly is NOT the same as Anti-feminism. I played with Barbies growing up and I have healthy respect for women.

Debbie said...

I tend to be on the same page as you Tracy. And in my opinion (humble or not) the rise of feminism gave women the ability to make their own CHOICES.

I also recognize that men and women ARE different. As much as the feminists want to deny it, there are distinct biological and chemical differences that make us who we are and that will not change.

:::Climbing down from my soap box:::

Unknown said...

I get it, I really do. And honestly? Even the older princesses don't bother me. I am the type of woman who doesn't feel it necessary to call myself a feminist out loud either. I got jumped all over once for saying that because apparently that means I'm not all for equal rights and I am spitting in the face of our foremothers.

Whatever, I'm just living my life, I have bigger things to worry about than what kind of messages the Disney Princesses are sending.

Warning: This comment is laced with PMS, take it with a grain of salt.

Kailani said...

I really don't see anything wrong with being feminine and strong. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Great post!

Kailani
http://islandlife808.com

andria said...

Amen.

I have waited years to buy something Disney Princessy and I don't want to feel badly about doing so.

So Sleeping Beauty waited for her true love's kiss to awaken her. Better than giving it up to every joe that crossed the forest. I think that's a pretty good message as well. And Cinderella. If I were Cinderella I would have laced those stepsisters food with rat poison. They deserved it. If everyone were more like Cinderella, what a happier place it might be. Written by the same woman who flipped off a dude who stopped at a green light this afternoon, but still.

I now have Disney Princess plates in my house and ILOVEIT!

Kristi said...

I am not an expert on the Disney princesses, but in addition to the "damsel in distress" themes prevalent throughout most of their stories, I'm concerned with the sexualized images of these princesses, many of whom wear a minimal amount of clothing with exposed tummies (think Jasmine and Ariel), and are quite "well-endowed" with tiny waists (much like Barbie). And while Mulan is an exception, she doesn't have her own line of princess clothing, tiaras, tutus, etc. I don't want my daughter to grow up and think that in order to be "pretty" she needs to resemble a Disney princess. Girls already have so much stacked against them as they grow into teenagers, with opportunities to develop a damaged self-esteem and a warped self-image seemingly present around every corner. I don't want her toys, dolls, or movies to contribute to that. I think there are better role models for little girls.

That said, I have plenty of friends whose little girls are heavily into the Disney princesses, and I would never knock another mother’s choices for daughter. Mothers do entirely too much bashing of other mothers’ child-rearing choices, and I think it important to recognize that there is not one universally good way to raise kids. We’re all just going the best we can!

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Hmm. Kristi, thanks for your comment! Actually, Mulan DOES have her own line of clothing, tiaras, etc. in our Disney store and at Disney World. :)

Also, though Jasmine and Ariel may show their tummies, I find that less offensive than walking through my mall and seeing some of the choices that some girls make...

Also,I was just noticing how small-chested most of the Disney dolls are in comparison to other dress-up dolls of the same sizes...

Interesting that we feel so differently!

Beck said...

Ah, well. I'm so indifferent to feminism and this is one big example why, making a big deal out of things that don't need a big deal made out of them.

Tonya said...

I'm really not that concerned about the Disney Princesses as I am about the real life girl role models like Miley Cyrus and posing semi-nude in Vanity Fair. Seriously why does being famous make the rules different? If I were to take a picture of my daughter at 15 like that I would be arrested but her dad was at the shot and so it is fine? As my friend says she maybe 15 but the girls who are watching her are much younger. Makes me sick. At least the Disney princesses are make believe and cartoons none the less. Just my 2 cents...sorry for the rant.

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

Being that I only have boys this is all foreign to me. I think I would lean to agreeing with you Tracey, really they are not mutually exclusive.

And more importantly isn't what's most important what we teach them anyway. Frankly if your child's education and influence is solely from Disney movies then how can we blame Disney?

:-)

I played with all that stuff and I would tend to think that I am a strong, responsible woman!

Great thought provoking post Tracey!

Melissa said...

I think we can take things to far at times. Don't we want our girls to be caring and kind? Don't we want them to be nurturing? Yes, they need to be strong and smart, but I hate it when those other attributes are seen as weaknesses...

Related Posts with Thumbnails