Monday, April 21, 2008

Decaffeinated rambling

I scrubbed six extremely dirty feet last night. Washed 3 heads to get the dirt and grass out of their hair. Wondered at how a 6 year old boy truly CAN have a dirty neck, just like in those nostalgic books I've read. And then I sighed over the futility of it all. Because, my friends, spring has sprung and my children will be barefoot for the next 6 months, give or take.

And all I can say is Thank God!! It was a long winter, was it not? Winters that feel drawn-out and extremely frigid make me wonder at the intelligence of my forefathers. Truly, was there no where else to settle? Really? Hmmm... Not even a little further South, where the winters are 2 months instead of 4-5? How did one survive such a long time in a small hut or cabin with no entertainment, little food, and NO space? No wonder our ancestors were stricter parents! They had no room for bratty comebacks when they all had to sit and stare at each other every day. Of course, the kids probably didn't have time to think of snappy remarks, when I think of the chores a child must have had to accomplish each day....

Holy crap. I'm tired. I have no idea why I just typed those 2 paragraphs. Probably gonna lose half of my readers. But dude - I couldn't fall asleep last night. And then, when I did? I had dreams of birthday parties for 500 people, with toys piling in on top of me. And I had a dream that there was a smallish dog in our backyard that I couldn't get rid of, so I was chasing it while I wore perfectly white socks and the grass was wet... See? Again - I have no control over my fingers. Gotta drink some more coffee...

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I swear we lead identical lives. As I was scrubbing Jacob's feet last night, I was thinking of turning it into a blog post!

I took a loufa to Jacob's feet (as much as he could stand the tickling), and it did nothing to remove the dirt. You could take a Brillo pad to my kids' feet, and they'd still be stained! It's just a fact of warm weather . . .

andria said...

and we were just saying how we didn't even have winter here. We only had to bring the plants in once for a threatened freeze and even then I don't think it really got below freezing. The annuals we planted last year are still blooming strong.

How strange that it was so, so different for us.

Glad the weather is better now.

Beth - Total Mom Haircut said...

re here! Winer was way too long. I'll easily trade the permanent brown layer on Sam's hands for some time outside.

Those necks do get dirty, don't they...

Beth - Total Mom Haircut

Debbie said...

We're still digging out from under the snow that has fallen over the last 3 days and it's not expected to warm up until Thursday!

I repeat what I've been saying on other spring-themed blogs. Jealous. But, it kills the bugs. :)

Tonya said...

You are too funny. And yay for spring. I am loving this weather!

Not Your Regular Mini Van Mom said...

We had the exact same day LOL. I put my boys in the tub and it took me a good ten minutes to get the dirt off of their feet! You know what dirty kids means...they have had a great day :)

Kristi said...

I am decaffeinated all the time these days. Can you imagine what my thoughts are like on a daily basis?

I am so glad that it's spring (it's been in the 80s here in NY the last few days!). Both Isabella and I needed an escape from our house desperately.

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

We had the same thing here on Friday. Kamden gets the dirtiest I have ever seen. I couldn't get his feet clean.

Today though, we were back in parkas.

I love the weather.

Anonymous said...

For real right? I tend to roll around in the dirt with X a bit too much, but dang it's amazing how dirty one kid can get! Never-the-less thank goodness for spring!

Beth from the Funny Farm said...

Hahahaha.. You make me laugh.

Sometimes I think I'll lose my readers OR that they are getting this strange perspective of who I really am!

Sarah said...

I had Violet and Finnegan scrub each others feet last night. Black. Black I tell you!

the dragonfly said...

I can't wait 'til it's warm enough to go barefoot here!! (although a few days ago I found BROKEN GLASS on the playground. All over the playground...)

Laski said...

You didn't lose me . . . this was hilarious. Lovin' the "smallish dog." Did you ever catch him? :)

Last night when writing my Idol post, I started falling asleep. I looked up and I have no idea what the heck I was typing . . . my fingers just went crazy . . . there was something about chocolate and my Boppy pillow. Whatev . . .

Amy said...

I am loving the good weather too! I don't even mind the nightly kiddos baths/showers that the good weather requires - its soo worth having the sun shining.

Related Posts with Thumbnails