Monday, March 26, 2012

Stream of Thought

It is so peaceful inside my home right now. The kids are still asleep. All electronics (besides my quiet laptop) are off; the familiar hummm-hummm of the energy all of the gadgets waste is absent. The remaining sounds are that of my puppy, gently snoring beside me as I type by the window in the living room. The blustery March wind is contributing the background noise, now; causing the overgrown rose bush branches to squeak and moan as they rub against our siding and causing me to pause for a welcome sip of reheated coffee. I'd like to get up to make it just a touch warmer, but that would mean having to move my little dog buddy... I guess there are worse things in life than luke warm coffee.

Patrick caught 8 fish at our pond yesterday. He said "Let's walk to the lake" and I said "Ok. Justin watch the kids" and we were able to walk to the lake with the dog, sans children, and have a grown up conversation the entire time we were gone, which couldn't have been more than 45 minutes; It's amazing what you can talk about in 45 minutes of uninterrupted conversation. With all of the distractions of children and household removed, we were just a couple, walking together, hanging out. It seems to have taken an exceptionally long time for us to get back to this spot in our lives where a walk together wasn't something that would require a babysitter and a plan of action. I guess it proves that there ARE benefits to having a teenager in the house! Thank God for the benefits, eh? Hold tight to those benefits, Tracey. ReMEMber the benefits when you're tearing out your hair, wondering what happened to the sweet little tow-headed boy who adored you more than trains and Star Wars...

5 comments:

Melisa Wells said...

8 fish? With his hands, or a fishing pole?

Yep, the benefits are just beginning. Soon you'll be able to leave for a couple of hours, in a car. You can't even imagine how great it is. Date nights! Woot!

Meredith said...

Bring on the peace of no interruptions...go you for stepping back from the hype :)

Mark said...

Your post calmed me down too. Thanks!
I'm glad that you had 45 minutes to reconnect. Even if you are bragging. ha!
m.

Jessica said...

It's amazing how a simple, uninterrupted conversation can be so beautiful when you haven't had a simple, uninterrupted conversation in so long.

This post is lovely. Just lovely.

p.s. Thank you for stopping by my blog and commenting! I look forward to getting to know you better.

Valerie said...

Maturity seems like it will take forever to come, but when it finally arrives, we wonder how could time fly by so fast? I have a tween who is now old enough to stay by himself for a few hours as long as we're a short distance away. It feels good, but I do miss those younger years, sometimes.

Related Posts with Thumbnails