Sunday, March 04, 2012

May the Odds...

I'm District 12!

I'm District 9!

I have some stuff for snares and medical supplies. What've you got?

Dude. You're gonna have to run for it when the games begin to get THAT bag!

A dagger!

Oh wow, that's cool. Can I use extra coats for padding? Like a shield?

Wait! Camouflage is MY skill! You can have the climbing skill.

Since I'm the oldest, I can reload my crossbow as I'm shooting it!

Can these work as binoculars?

Is this armor?

Ok! Let's Go! May the Odds be ever in your favor!
Packing her supplies...
Planning an attack...

Edited to add: The Games have moved to the backyard in favor of a more "realistic" feel. But no bloodbaths, or so they tell me. So..... that's a plus.


Thank you, Hunger Games, for a book series that all 3 kids have enjoyed. Thank you for engaging the whole family in books that sparks imaginative play. They're having an absolute blast play-acting the Hunger Games in the basement. I dread the moment I must witness the carnage that will remain once they are done, but it's worth it for the time all 3 of my kids from ages 13 to 6 (and their friend) play together.

I'd also like to recommend Suzanne Collins' series, Gregor the Overlander. If your family likes The Hunger Games, Percy Jackson, Harry Potter, etc. then they will like Gregor, too. TRUST ME.Link

10 comments:

Alexandra said...

Gregor the Overlander?

Ordering it now, mama...sounds just up my kids' alley.

xo

sonia said...

I haven't read these yet, but they sound very rich. How sweet to see your kids have such a blast!

Unknown said...

I can't WAIT for the movie to come out. Midnight showing!! Cody is so excited too.
BTW, I'm district 12 and I'm a Geologist. =)

AiringMyLaundry said...

Awesome.

I need to read that book.

chefdruck said...

Gregor the Overlander is now my latest amazon order. Thank you so much!

I am counting the days til the movie. Might reread the series before then.

Great pics!

Paula said...

I just finished all the Gregor books. I didn't like the ending, but otherwised loved the books. I can't wait to go see the Hunger Games! It comes out around my birthday. Yay for a birthday date!

Elisa @ Crazy, Amazing Life said...

thank you thank you thank you for the recommendation! I have been looking for recommendations for readers of THG for ages, and all I get are tees and other book/movie paraphenalia.

I will check the series out!

Elisa @ Crazy, Amazing Life said...

Hey girl! You've been tagged :-)

paula said...

My nine year old is begging to read it - when did you let yours read it?

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Paula, my middle son is nearly 10. It's not any more violent than the video games they play plus he's READING which sells most books for me. And? He's LOVING it, which means he's loving reading. There's violence, but it's not (IMHO) anything you wouldn't see on a PG or PG-13 movie with superheroes, etc. And there are allusions to intimate relationships, but, again, NOTHING that I consider inappropriate for a boy who is learning about sex education.

I recommend reading it yourself if you're concerned. You'll probably love it as much as he does!

Related Posts with Thumbnails