Tuesday, February 07, 2012

What I've Learned and What I Promise to Do...

"Front kick!"

"Ay-YAH!"

"Front punch!"

"Ay-Yah!"

"And now it's time for announcements..." The karate instructor began to list the upcoming activities and important news for the class. Evan glanced over at me and frowned.

"You crying?" he signed*.

"Yes," I nodded.

"Why?"

"I'm ok. You just work."

His face concerned, he signed back, "I love you."

"I love you, too."

I am sad. Devastated, actually, for two little boys that will never again have their mother watch them at karate or basketball or whatever activity interests their little-boy hearts. They will always have her love, but to feel it in the air and through your heart is vastly different than to feel her arms around them, kissing their foreheads, showering them in her pride...

I am deeply affected by their loss. By the loss for all of us now that Susan has passed away. Most of us never really "knew" her, but we knew her love for her family through her beautiful words on her blog. We knew her through conferences and speaking events, tweets and posts.

She will be missed.

There are insanely vibrant flowers on my kitchen table today. Fuschia and orange and yellow. These are most definitely not their God-given colors, but on this intensely dreary February day, I am beyond grateful for the gift my husband bought me last night. "I knew you'd had a hard day," he said...

I may not be able to donate money to all of the amazing charities in the world. I may not be able to cure the diseases that snatch our loved ones before they are softened and gray with 90+ years. I may not be able to touch as many people's hearts as Susan did. But I am able to appreciate these children that surround me, these flowers from my husband, and the health that I hold for today. I am able to send a message into the world that say:

I will be Consciously Kind. I will acknowledge that today, I may meet someone on their last day in their Earthly body. The energy we put out into the universe does not end. It continues, long after we are far, far away.

If Susan's courageous battle with Inflammatory Breast Cancer taught us anything, it's that Life is Precious.


*Evan has been learning American Sign Language with me and Corinne. He loves it and I am so proud of his dedicated practice...

10 comments:

Unknown said...

She will be missed.

Joy said...

A beautiful tribute. Her impact was huge, and oh, so positive.

Lori B said...

I had not heard of Susan's blog. But am saddened by the loss. Your tribute has really really touched me. *crying now* I think in this world we ALL must be "Consciously Kind". We owe it to each other. Thank YOU for touching my heart today.

won said...

Beautifully said and a poignant reminder.

Your beauty shines in this post.

The Sisters' Hood said...

Yes, this.
I too, have cried at every single thing since Monday.

Michelle said...

What a beautiful tribute to a wonderful woman. I met her briefly a few times, and she was always so upbeat and gracious - and definitely very, very missed. :(

Mark said...

My heart goes out to her Family.
I think I'm done reading blogs for the day. This isn't the only bad news that I read today.
Lovely post.
mark

Kat said...

So, so sad. I have been having the same thoughts and feelings as you since my friend passed away.
Peace

Anonymous said...

More people need to appreciate the lives they have. We'd all be better off if we'd appreciate how really, really good we have it. You are so right that we need to live in the moment, appreciate what we have and be consciously kind.

kailani said...

I was truly sad when I heard the news, too. I can't even imagine what her family is going through right now.

Kailani
An Island Life

Related Posts with Thumbnails