Friday, December 30, 2011

Puppy Dreams...

I have been holding out on you guys. You may have been wondering why my posts are so distracted, so meh. I mean, even MORE "meh" than usual.

What do you mean, "No"? You mean you have lives outside of reading my blog and obsessing over my comings and goings?

As if.

So, as I was saying, since you're obviously curious about why I've been so distant, I'll enlighten you.

I have been sucked into the scary world of puppy adoption.

Oh yes. We're getting a dog.

This sounds simple. It sounds incredibly simple! You call a shelter, specify size, age and general breed, and they announce that you can come over and rescue a needy puppy that they have available for practically no $ at all. You take said dog home and he/she becomes a new member of your family for the next 10-15 years. Case closed.

HA.

I forgot to enter the factors of the universe into this equation including, but not limited to: allergen requirements, size issues, shelters that don't answer phones, shelters that are just plain weird about how they approve for adoption, and to add in about 3 months of strife and pondering, just for kicks.

You would think we were trying to conceive the darn puppy ourselves!

Petfinder.org has been my website of choice for at least 6 months now. I can tell you all about all of the shelters, their requirements, exactly WHY we want a dog, how we're planning on training him/her, and that YES, we WILL agree to a home visit, if it comes down to that. (I kid you not. A home visit. For a Dog.)

Please, please, please cross any loose appendages you may have available so that we will be the chosen "parents" for the puppy we're meeting next Saturday! My heart has gotten attached to so many little faces, only to find out that they have found their homes somewhere else. (which, YAY! I'm glad they're finding homes. But I wish it was OUR home...) My children are beginning to think that we're making up the whole "we're getting a dog!" promise that we made back in APRIL...

5 comments:

kailani said...

When we tried to adopt 2 cats from a shelter we had to go through a whole interview process! Didn't expect that!

Good luck with your puppy adoption! Hope the kids get their little sibling soon!

Leanne said...

Yeah for you! Let us know when he/she arrives. Our new puppy is now nine months old...and driving me crazy. But it's fun! Good luck!

Carrie - Cannibalistic Nerd said...

I worked in rescue for over 6 years. I know it all seems very strange from the "other side." Interviews, home visits, etc. If it's a rescue that's doing it "right," it's in the best interest of you and the dog. People in rescue have seen some of the worst in others, so they put a lot into trying not to repeat history with a lot of the animals. That can seem really excessive sometimes, I know. Hopefully it all works out and you all end up with the perfect dog for your family.

Melisa Wells said...

No worries, Tracey. Your family will end up with the EXACT dog you're supposed to have. :)

I'm still crossing everything that it's this one, though. :)

Fairly Odd Mother said...

We are now seasoned dog owners (almost 3 months!), and I have to say that it is the BEST. We went through adopt-a-lab who have more than labs (surprising!) and even some puppies. Though our 3yo (ish) girl came house trained and past the "puppy chew" stage which was a big, gigantic, huge plus for adopting an adult. Plus, she can sleep for 9 hours a night without needing to go outside which is lovely. I do miss the sweet puppy look and puppy breath (love!) though. . . good luck to you guys! Can't wait to hear the news!

Related Posts with Thumbnails