Sunday, July 03, 2011

Thankfully, The Zombie Apocalypse isn't predicted anytime soon...

Should the Zombie Apocalypse ever infiltrate Chicago, my boys will definitely be ready for them. You may not be able to tell, but I'm told that that's a serious machine gun my 9 year is toting...
Our first time to "The Bean" in Millennium Park. Lived here my whole life and I've never seen it. Can't say that, anymore...
Justin's words: "The Taste of Chicago was the BEST DAY I've ever had in Chicago!!" High praise from my 12 year old. Pictured eating a chocolate dipped, walnut coated frozen banana from The Fudge Pot that was TO DIE FOR. The two of us barely finished it together!
If The Original Rainbow Cone ever wants me to endorse their products, I have 2 kids who would be MORE than happy to oblige. Those cones were WORTH the 8 tickets they cost at The Taste. Absolutely.
My heart grew 3 sizes yesterday when Corinne used her Barnes and Noble gift card to buy The Diary of a Wimpy Kid Do It Yourself Book for Evan. And Evan's been WRITING IN IT since she gave it to him! Be still, my heart...
I was SO HAPPY (insert sarcasm here) to find out that Patrick had purchased a gigantic box of smoke bomb thingies(don't ask me the technical name). I'm sure our neighbors appreciated the sulfuric odors, too.
Seriously, it was FOUL.
But nothing screams "Yay, America!" more loudly than a bunch of children running around with flaming sticks.

I'm definitely proud to be an American, especially since I can't fathom calling French Fries "chips". That would just suck. No offense to my British readers, but that's simply weird!

Happy Fourth of July, everybody!

*Garden Update: My garden is still ALIVE! Corinne has been helping out by watering it religiously and we ate our first tomato from one of the plants. Question: am I supposed to pick the oregano whenever I want some, or only at a certain time? Also, it's flowering. Is that bad?






7 comments:

Cheryl said...

Isn't it funny how you can live somewhere for so long and you may never see the sights of your own city?! We have a National Monument 3 or 4 miles outside of our town and I've NEVER been there..and I've lived here about 17 years!!
Those ice cream cones look yummy!
I wish I could grow a garden...I DO NOT have a green thumb...the two times I've attempted a garden, they both failed...probably doesn't help that I don't like to be outside much! LOL
And I have no idea about the oregano...hopefully one of your other readers is a better gardener than I am...LOL :o)

Jen Sebring said...

Via Amalah :). Fun blog! What is that beam thing, anyway?

Debbie said...

What a great day! Those treats looked so yummy!
And seriously, what's the story behind The Bean?
I snip off some oregano whenever I want to use it. Oregano can turn into a shrub (and that's in Calgary's climate), so it helps to keep it trimmed.

anymommy said...

"Nothing says yay America like a bunch of children running around with flaming sticks." LOVE it. May you survive the Fourth of July AND the zombie apocalypse.

Mark said...

We just spent the weekend at the beach and I am just now catching up with my Blog reading.
Yours looks like a wonderful time. You know, I have never heard of the Bean in all my life. So thanks!
I'm glad that you enjoyed your Fourth!
m.

nmaha said...

We are into fireworks in a big way here. Or at least V and the techie are. I just enjoy the time-off it gives me from playing wife and mommy :-)

It is heart warming when they do something special for each other.

CJ said...

One of the top five things I miss about living there! The Taste always rocked!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails