Friday, May 20, 2011

Sex Radar and Monster Dreams

I was busily trying to simultaneously clear away the wrappings of the day, wrangle Justin off of the computer and herd the entire group up the stairs to bed when I heard a quiet sobbing behind me. There at the kitchen table sat my baby girl, all 5 years of her, pouring out the most heart-wrenching tears you've ever seen.

"I'm afraid! I don't want any more bad dreams! Please don't make me sleep in my room!!"

My heart dropped and my eyes met Patrick's in dread as we cringed and thought "Not another one!"

I cuddled and coddled and read to her. I tucked her in with fluffy doggies and bears and blankets. I stroked her back and sang 20 minutes of songs, humming over any negative words lest they evoke anything unhappy in her pre-sleep brain. She drifted into a defeated doze, her tears wetting my shirt and hair.

My first attempt at escaping her bed and meeting Patrick alone after an entire night of come-hither looks was thwarted by her sweaty and desperate hand. She jerked awake, clutched my shirt and desperately began to whimper "I want to sleep with you! Please, Mommy, Please!"

Rinse and repeat. And repeat.

40 minutes later and I managed to MacGyver roll myself off of her creaky bed and down the hall to my waiting husband.

It was so nice to just be alone with him. The stress of the kids, friends, and just overall life was starting to wear me down. I simply needed to don only one title, "wife", for a while.

Alas, my children have sex-radar in their brains. Within 20 minutes, not one, not two, but ALL THREE of them were at our door, asking questions. One was crying. Another sleep-walking into the wall. The final begging to sleep on our floor.

Pat and I looked at each other. "I love you," he said. "...and I love our kids. I love our kids. I love our kids..." he repeated as short people invaded our sanctuary.

I love you too, babe. I love them a lot; truly. But I LOVE YOU like no other.

18 comments:

Deb said...

Last year my husband and I were doing the same thing and were interrupted by my son PUKING ALL OVER OUR BEDROOM DOOR.

Dadgum kids.

Farah Jasmine said...

So sweet and yet unsatisfying! We have to sneak away, too!

Stacia said...

If only it were the other way around: monster radar and sex dreams for the adults! =>

Becky said...

This made me laugh out loud at work - great description. "MacGyver roll". Brilliant.

Kids are excellent, excellent birth control. I think they have that built in sex radar as some kind of adaptational response to prevent having to share their parents attention with anyone else :(

Jenn said...

Oh how familiar this story is!

Sabrina said...

Boy this reminds me of our conversation on the way home Tuesday....any recollection? It was something like "Oh great....the front light it on...that can only mean one thing!"

SortaSuperMom said...

Oh boy do I know how that goes. Here's to the off chance that someday soon your kiddos' "sex radar" goes on the blink.

Heidi said...

Yes, definitely know how this feels!

Unknown said...

Ah yes. The dreaded "sex radar". And you know what? There's no cure. Unless, of course, you're willing to put one of those hotel "do not disturb" signs on the doorknob. Of course, you may have to tell them WHY you put the sign on the door. Which might not be a bad tack to take. You'll have total piece and uninterrupted quiet - except for the occasional "EWWWW" you'll hear when they realize what's going on. heh, heh.

Anonymous said...

All parents can relate to your post, especially those with young children. My friends with older kids tell us it gets better, but we don't know if we can wait until then.

CJ said...

What's sex?

aeshcame said...

Well when we have kids..this is what the consequences are..but still just loving my kids..but more to my dear of course..just the ways of life~

STWH said...

witty post! As a parent, I know exactly what you mean.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

The short people invading isn't fun, is it?

Helena said...

Tracey, we've had my girl in bed with us for so long now I can't remember when it began. It's beautiful and all…and then you think, Will it always be like this, cosy and sweet and…ALWAYS? I try not to think about it…live in the moment…and so on. Meanwhile, my husband and I are living on memories and hope. :)

I read your linked post—our kids totally have that over-active, inconsolable imagination too. I've heard it's a sign of Crazy-High Intelligence. Yep. Mensa here we come!

Mel Carrey said...

aw, it's beautiful when both can connect, and continue to reconnect consider the situations!

CaraBee said...

How DO they know? It's uncanny. Sorry your special time was invaded!

Alexandra said...

What a sanctuary a good marriage is.

Takes you back to the person you really are.

Related Posts with Thumbnails