Thursday, February 17, 2011

Shhhh...

Feeling quiet this week. Really still in my heart and head...

I sit at the computer and stare and feel little desire to read or write.

So I pick up my current Harry Potter
and dive back into the world of teenaged magic
and forget about the dishes
and schoolwork
and tediums of life in February
for a little smidge longer.

This morning, I heard a reporter say that Borders was going out of business
because nobody reads real books anymore.

"When was the last time
you curled up with a real book?"

She asked.

"We all pick up our Kindles and Nooks instead!"

Not me.

I understand.

I do.

It's cheaper/easier/cooler/etc. to read on a nifty reading thingy-bob.
There may come a day when I break down
and own one myself...

But paperless books just aren't the same.

My books are dog-eared and frayed.
They have spots of spaghetti sauce and salsa from reading during meals.
They have rips and creases from falling asleep with them.
They can be shared or given away
(is there something you'd like to borrow?)
My books are loved and worn and cherished
and I wouldn't want it any other way.
Post a Comment
Related Posts with Thumbnails