Saturday, July 31, 2010

Consider Cleveland...part 2

Part 1 is here...
There weren't many things that I didn't like on our whiplash tour of Cleveland. But I do regret that while we visited the historical West Side Market to stroll through their aisles of traditions and selections, we had just eaten breakfast and weren't able to bring anything that would spoil on the bus! I mean, the cakes and pastries looked divine! And don't even get me STARTED on the cheeses and sausages that had to be left behind their glass cases...

I sullenly climbed back on our bus after having sampled only a few free white cherries and delicious canteloupe. We were headed to the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame and I had built it up in my head as some place I absolutely couldn't wait to visit. But to be honest, I was a bit worried that I had elevated it up too high...

Thankfully, the museum didn't disappoint! The layout and feeling of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is so incredible. And don't get it wrong; it's a MUSEUM, not some kitschy building with silly posters and blaring music. The walls and air around you are filled with invaluable artifacts from the beginnings of Rock, Jazz, Blues and other influences that have brought us to the artists of today. No era or style is left out and each is explored and examined with the respect that is due to what has been one of the most historically defining centuries of all time. I now know exactly where I want to take Patrick when we go back to Cleveland! (I'm planning on a birthday surprise weekend. It's ok - he rarely reads this site.*) I fully intend on spending the entire day there, reading every plaque, watching all of the videos and shows (over 5 hours throughout the museum!) and browsing through their song banks (thousands of songs from every artist you could ever imagine). I absolutely, 1000% recommend visiting The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. And I cannot WAIT to investigate their online and on-site educational programs for children which incorporate Rock music into a variety of educational topics. You don't have to tell me more than once that children learn best when they have more than one type of media to utilize! Look for more on Rock music as education on my homeschooling blog this year.MY generation! Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Nine Inch Nails, Alice in Chains, Peter Gabriel, Counting Crows, Black Crowes... My glee was palpable through each timeline exhibit. I cannot fully convey the magnitude of information that is available...
(Cameras are not allowed in the museum except where noted or for the press. Many of the artifacts are on loan or are sensitive to light. Please remember to leave your cameras in the car or to check them before entering the exhibits!)

I was really bummed to leave without investigating more in depth, but, without a doubt, I'll be back soon. Since I knew what the next stop was on our trip, I didn't mind not being able to scour through Janis Joplin's exhibit just then...

Can you believe it?!? Ralphie's house, guys. RALPHIE'S HOUSE. I? Was there. I? Met this guy...
... who used to carry his blankie around the set and had quite the difficulty putting his arms down. Ian Petrella, aka "Randy" from A Christmas Story walked in just as Barb and I were posing and shrieking. I'm not a celebrity freak, but it was a bit of a thrill to put a real face to the movie image. Of course, I'm sure he was blown away by Barb and me. After all, nothing says "maturity" like mock-licking a leg-lamp... ...or being shocked at where Schwartz's mom thinks my son learned to say "Fudge"."Probably from his Father." NEVER!
Obviously, I have no shame. Folks, we were absolute nerds. We giggled and shouted and acted like right old fools. But this movie and the house are ICONIC. It's a media connection that everyone can relate to because everyone has seen it repeatedly. And everyone LOVES it! A Christmas Story House is definitely worth the $8 for admission. Don't forget to check out the museum and gift shop across the street. My kids got their very own Little Orphan Annie Decoder rings.

One would think that after all of that, we would have come to the end of the tour. One would be mistaken to assume that for we were only halfway through our second day! I know what you're thinking,

"Well? What did you do? Where did you go? Why didn't you invite ME? The waiting is agony! Adoring your blog from my computer screen is something I do every day but I am so in awe of you that I can't bring myself to comment!**"

I'm sorry, my friends. Overwhelming adoration or not, I think that a Neverending Post just won't be as cool as a Neverending Story. But here's a teaser for Part 3...

"Que es esto?"

*I'm sure that I have now guaranteed that Patrick will read my blog....

**That may be a slight exaggeration. The author claims no responsibility for a small distortion of how much you adore her as she has had only one cup of coffee and needs to get the kids up and dressed for a family reunion/birthday party in the pouring rain... You're jealous; admit it.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

I grew up near Cleveland, so I went to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame the summer it opened. I was 15 and I thought that it was boring (and hadn't heard of 2/3 of the musicians). Since then, my music tastes have broadened and I've become a fan of tons of classic rock. My husband and I went again on a visit to Cleveland last year, and we LOVED it. Great music, interesting displays, and the museum size is perfect for an afternoon (though you could definitely spend more time than that). Enjoy the rest of your Cleveland vacation!

Mimi's Toes said...

Looks like a lot of fun. Thank you for stopping by yesterday to send me a Birthday wish.

Christina said...

The Rock Hall is just too cool, isn't it? Took my cousin there today for her first visit and she was in awe. Took her for the MJ artifacts and she was completely stunned by the glove. While she didn't appreciate much of the artists, the cars, clothes and artifacts certainly impressed her!

NOW, we have to wait for part 3!

WeeMasonMan's Mom said...

Oh my gosh, Ralphie's house?! Now that is too cool!!!

Sam said...

Hey! I feel like i am re-living the trip. I love your narrative and photos. It was great to be able to show you around Cleveland. I wish you could have shopped more at the market too!

WeaselMomma said...

This trip was amazing and I am very grateful to have had all that fun with you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails