Saturday, June 05, 2010

My gift to you

"Why do we even come to these games?" I asked Patrick as we watched Justin's soccer game in the steady but warm drizzle this morning. Justin had played about 10 minutes out of the 45 minutes we had watched. I knew that the coach was offering for him to go in, but we saw our son shaking his head and talking (in depth) to his coach.

"He probably has a million reasons about why playing in the rain isn't good for him," I grimly stated. I know my eldest isn't known for being a huge athlete, but he really loves to play soccer, and it's great exercise! AND, he insists that he likes it! So why does he refuse to work harder? The other boys were huffing and puffing with red faces and sweaty hair, and their team finally won , 3 to 1.

I peeled the sleeping and quickly overheating 4 year old from my lap and we packed up to go home. Patrick carried Corinne and I followed behind with the boys. I kept my mouth shut, knowing that a discussion regarding his performance (or refusal thereof) would just begin an argument in public. And that is never a road I willingly take when there is a perfectly fine and private argument location in the van.

We made it to the van and loaded up. The family got buckled in while I put our chairs into the back. I turned around to find Justin's coach beside me.

"I feel really bad that he didn't play more," he began, "but every time I asked him, he said he didn't feel like playing or didn't have any energy. He's really improving on his skills..." he kindly listed all the ways that Justin has improved this season. I thanked him and climbed into the van where I parroted back the compliments.

"Why don't you push yourself just a little bit?" we asked. "You'll never get any better if you don't work past the hurdles of exercise!"

"My legs are too heavy today!"

???

Yes. His legs. Too heavy. Sigh... Patrick and I shook our heads and did a splendid job of not berating him too much. We only threatened a leeeeetle bit if he didn't apply himself at the games the way he does at practice. And then we let it drop because Corinne was spiking a fever and the house was a disaster and Patrick had some real estate business to take care of.

As I was bustling around the house, alternatively stroking the sweaty forehead of my sleeping 4 year old and scrubbing toilets (I did! I cleaned toilets AND showers. AND vacuumed on my hands and knees because the belt broke in my vacuum! I was a regular little homemaker, I was...) I noticed that the house had gotten quite quiet... Hmmmm...

There was Justin on the rocking chair; red-faced, listless eyes, and drooping over the armrest.

Damn. He was sick. He was beginning a fever and we were ragging on him about energy and attitude.

You may commence with feeling better about your own parenting skills in comparison to ours. This is my gift to you.

De nada.

(Oh pleasepleaseplease let them all be healthy for tomorrow's excursion to Raging Waves in Yorkville! We get to go for a review and I think it might be frowned upon if I were to drag 3 sickly children along, just for the free lunch...)

13 comments:

Me said...

Awww, poor guy. I've done that myself...hate it.

Kate, when tired and no longer wanting to walk, tells me her "legs feel like cheese". I don't understand it, but that's what she says.

Stacia said...

Hope everyone's better soon and the germs leave quickly. (But yippee for clean toilets!) And there's always next week for more soccer "pep talks" ... from inside the minivan, of course. =>

Sarah RDH said...

lol I can remember a couple times like this with my son...me yelling at him for not doing something or whatever than 10 min later he's either puking or passed out and about 900 degrees...yeah, makes you feel AWESOME. Happens to the best of us I guess.

Mom24 said...

The gift that keeps on giving, I've done this too. Hope he's all better for tomorrow.

OHmommy said...

Oh no... I hope he feels better.

Alexandra said...

Oh, we have identical minds.

I give worst parent of the year awards to myself all the time, too.

Debbie said...

Oh goodness. We have all been there. It's always so easy to see in hindsight, isn't it?
I hope he is feeling better now.

MommyGeekology said...

OH jeez, hope the boy feels better quickly!

shay said...

Oh I hate that! And I did it a LOT this year to my 12 year old, poor guy! I was giving him such a hard time and he was sick! ACKKKKK!!!
Does it help to know you're not the only one? Cuz it helped me.

mosey (kim) said...

Ah... the guilt. I know it well, even though I refuse to acknowledge it (a useless emotion, as my Nanny used to say...).

Thanks for visiting today!

Anonymous said...

My brother was known for crying wolf. Therefore, Mom sent him to school one day even though he was complaining of a belly ache. By mid-day, he was doubled over and rushed to the ER for an emergency appendectomy. He wasn't crying wolf that day! Don't feel bad. I'm sure it happens to all mothers and I'll be expecting mine one day.

we are reilly said...

did you guys go to the water park? We suddenly got some illness over here today! :( I wish we were home yesterday, I would have met up with you at the waterpark - :(

Elisa @ Globetrotting in Heels said...

Don't feel bad, you couldn't have known! My daughter is so inconsistent with her passions, and she changes her mind all the time. I try not to force to do things if she doesn't enjoy the activity, but I can't keep it all straight. I would probably have done the same!

get well vibes coming that way!

Related Posts with Thumbnails