Friday, January 15, 2010

Recently overheard in the house of JAMB...

"Mommy, why don't I have ruffles on my hands?"

"Eh? Wha?"

"Ruff. FULLS. Why don't I have RUFFLES on my hands? I have them on my arms and legs, but not my hands. Why not?"

Eyebrows at full mast, eyes scanning her arms and legs for supposed ruffles and finding none, I ask,
"Um... Can you show me some of these Ruffles?"

A look of utter exasperation at her incredibly naive and ignorant mother, she sharply points to several dots on her arms and legs.

"THESE, MOM-mmeeee! THESE RUFFLES. Why don't I have them on my hands?!?"

Grateful that I had already swallowed my coffee so that nothing was able to shoot out of my nose, I choked out my response of,

"FRECKLES? You turkey! You meant FRECKLES."

"Oh, yeah." giggles behind her hands like an utterly feminine, stereo-typical girly girl. "That's what I meant!"

~~~

Just moments ago, the playful laughter of my 3 kids allowed me time to peruse about 3% of the internet that I wanted to indulge in. Happy for the little things, I ignored the rise and fall of pleasure to indignation to utter joy to fury, begging the internet to "please search faster!", knowing that it would all come to an end when someone finally began to bleed. Instead, I was intrigued to overhear Evan's high-pitched demands upon his brother. I peeked into the room and saw him sitting on Justin's head. In a voice resembling some super-villain from the movies he roared,

"What's my favorite animal, fool?!? That's wrong! You don't know it, so you must paaaayyy!!" Mock punches to Justin's head resulted in hysterical laughter.

"What color underwear am I wearing, fool?!?"

"WHITE?!?" Justin managed to squeak out from under his brother's butt.

"WRONG AGAIN YOU FOOOOL!!!! I'm in pajamas so I'm not WEARING ANY UNDERWEAR!! MUwaaaHAAAAHaaaaa!!!!" More mock punches to Justin's head, followed by even more hysterical laughter.

I cautiously backed away, hoping that the blood wouldn't be shed after all, (seeing as how there were no weapons involved) and began to furiously type it all out, only to hear Corinne belting out,

"What's my name, FOOOOOL?!?"

Sigh.

20 comments:

JC said...

you always manage to put a smile on my face. Thanks!

Unknown said...

We never allowed any head sitting - given that my boys would more than likely have taken the opportunity to asphyxiate someone, than not - and that's just impolite.

CJ said...

I love when they screw up words like that!! My son called a computer a TOM-PETER for years!

Manic Mommy said...

Justin, hysterically laughing because he's cheek-to-cheek with his brother...boys.

Gucci Mama said...

Boys are a species unto themselves, hmm? LOVE the ruffles thing too. ;)

P/F said...

...A story that the family brings out and dusts off at every holiday gathering...
One of our neighbors used to babysit me, and liked to hang out at our house most afternoons. One day, neighbor pointed to the freckles that dotted her nose and asked me, "What's all over my face?" My response: "Pimples?"

Pregnantly Plump said...

Is this what I have to look forward to when my boys are older? Sounds pretty funny. Don't think I could keep a straight face around such antics.

Daisygirl said...

I have never heard ruffles for freckles before...I like ruffles better I think ;)!
Gotta love boys and I thank God everyday that I have at least one girl on my side!

Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

I love those moments, 'the kids are occupied for this exact moment so I can check my email, or go to the bathroom, or hop in the shower...' kind of moments. Especially when the bleeding is kept to a minimum:)

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

Just another day in the life.

I am going to be uttering "FOOL" for the rest of the night now, in my best villian voice. Too bad the kids are in bed, it would annoy them endlessly.

:)

anymommy said...

Ruffles. I love that. I feel so sad when my kids give up their pet words.

we are reilly said...

Oh my -- your posts always make me smile and laugh and brighten my day! Thanks! (plus makes me happy to know that 'real' moms let their kids fight until someone gets hurt......)

mamatucci said...

I love ruffles! Matteo always tell me mine are PA GUSTING!

mep said...

The Mister T "fool" stuff is hilarious.

You've left me wondering . . . why don't we have "ruffles" on our hands?

Gettysburg Mom said...

Love the dress, and surprisingly enough, I don't think i recognize the princess. Is that from the Sleeping Beauty collection? :)

And I totally love when I get the patronizing, slowly enunciated word from the toddler set.

If they bleed, it keeps them occupied a bit longer if you require them to get their own blood out of the carpet.

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

That would be the dress from The Three Musketeers, the Barbie movie. The princess' name is Corinne! How fitting is THAT?!?

Elisa @ Globetrotting in Heels said...

LOL @ ruffles :-D

Though that would make accessorizing a cinch.

Angela said...

I love it! That was just too, too funny! Your children and you brought loud laughter to me. Wow, bless you dear Mama of three!

Oh, wow, I enjoyed.

Doll Clothes Gal Pal said...

You are blessed to have such amazing kids! I enjoyed the "Ruffles" story, that was funny!

CaraBee said...

How cute is Corinne with her "ruffles"!

"What's my name, fool?" is my new saying. To be used in any setting. Love it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails